Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

Ah, I tried it again and it's looking OK, I think, on 1st inspection anyway. If I copy an image location from any page then open it in a browser it is shown as webp so that works well.
    Now to do a lot more tidying up or perhaps do a complete rehash of the whole site.
    Thanks for your help everyone. Oh, is there a way to do something similar images using webp for video clips to reduce the file size too? Perhaps converting to html5 but does Xara support that?
    Last edited by Lynnzer; 01 May 2021 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnzer View Post
    Oh, is there a way to do something similar images using webp for video clips to reduce the file size too? Perhaps converting to html5 but does Xara support that?
    Videos can be saved as WebM and accessed by your xara design through a placeholder. HTML5 is not a codec but if you want to play WebM then many browsers will accept it.

The code at its simplest is <video src="index_htm_files\video.webm" controls></video>.

There is a slight saving over MP4 but you still have to offer MP4 as a fallback for (mobile) browsers like Safari:
    <video width="320" height="640" controls>
    <source src="index_htm_files\video.webm" type="video/webm">
    <source src="index_htm_files\video.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag
    </video>
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Videos can be saved as WebM and accessed by your xara design through a placeholder. HTML5 is not a codec but if you want to play WebM then many browsers will accept it.

The code at its simplest is <video src="index_htm_files\video.webm" controls></video>.

There is a slight saving over MP4 but you still have to offer MP4 as a fallback for (mobile) browsers like Safari:

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn. Is there some way to just click a box for the WeM, similar for Webp

Thanks Acorn. Is there some way to just click a box for the WeM, similar for Webp
    No. I would have said.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

That's what I thought. For the meagre saving I'll stick with mp4.
    Now, here's another tedious thing, and I know I asked this same question somewhere in the distant past, but you'll see from the collection pages such as this one that there are loads of images. I can manoeuvre each one to enlarge, as it currently does but would really prefer a gallery of sorts such as a large frame to show any chosen style, then smaller images below. The one I like the look of is the Cloud Tint Zoom Gallery, or the same without the zoom. However it doesn't work for more than 4 images. What other option would do the trick?

Info Re: Which update and what version to do it to

Lynnzer, there is nothing else I know of so I just built this as a demonstrator: CSS - Inner Zoom from Thumb Links.xar

Let me kno what you think.

Acorn

OK then. I paid for the Xara Pro+ today. As you say, the price isn't over the top for the things I get.
    Just another webp question though. I do have some files of that nature and as expected from the explanation I can't drag and drop them onto a page.
    So, the rendering is done by Xara from jpeg or png? How does that impact on a sites Google scrutiny? If anyone's browser can't handle webp the page loading will take longer when it's rich in images. It's that very thing I want to avoid. I know there are dozens of things that can impact page speed but I want to nail this on the head. If Xara has the option to render, then surely it must have duplicate images in the file system, or is the rendering done at time of page load and if so then that must also surely slow page opening thus removing the advantage of small image file size.
    Finally, can you point me to a site where webp images are shown in webp for supported browsers so I can compare them to a non supported browser.

The funny thing is that even the images on Xara's own website show as png's so perhaps they are blowing a lot of smoke on website rendering. Or maybe they aren't using Xara Pro+ themselves????
    Glad you made that update. Really is the way to go. Multiple updates regularly.
    -W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

I rather have solid updates rather than multiple regular updates to getting things corrected. Is that not the case (people who are on the plus?)

pro+ has regular updates - magix does not - that is the way I look at it... you pay for the 'premium service' if you like

but that said, xara is still introducing issues with their updates, pita
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Is this the pita you talking about?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	129570