Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Well that didn't go well.
    The webp files all got loaded alongside the jpg's and png's and at a hell of a file space saving too.
    However the site was screwed up with almost no images showing, just their placeholders. I could click on one of the placeholders and bring up the linked larger image, but even the image that was part of the menu was missing.
    I tried it in 4 browsers, each with the cache deleted. No better so for now I've reloaded the site without the webp and things work again.
    I'll spend more time on this over the weekend but salmon fishing is next on my agenda

Oh dear! It would help if you could attach your .xar file or part there of so we can see what's happening.
    Good fishing!
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Oh dear! It would help if you could attach your .xar file or part there of so we can see what's happening.
    Good fishing!
    OK. I'll export to file on my computer though, and send the xar over.

5:30am. Sun is shining, Rain into the river Wear yesterday. Fish on the move. I can only hope.

Oh, the site I'm trying to work with is www.motherofthebrideoutfits.co

It's a bit of a mess already which is why I'm looking to overhaul it with a new template, tidy up links, text, images etc. However as I have an almost identical site I can swap and change things freely and even mess up until I work things out. I know the video clips are eating up lots of download time so that's going to be addressed in my revision.
    Last edited by Lynnzer; 01 May 2021 at 04:59 AM.

Ah, I tried it again and it's looking OK, I think, on 1st inspection anyway. If I copy an image location from any page then open it in a browser it is shown as webp so that works well.
    Now to do a lot more tidying up or perhaps do a complete rehash of the whole site.
    Thanks for your help everyone. Oh, is there a way to do something similar images using webp for video clips to reduce the file size too? Perhaps converting to html5 but does Xara support that?
    Last edited by Lynnzer; 01 May 2021 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnzer View Post
    Oh, is there a way to do something similar images using webp for video clips to reduce the file size too? Perhaps converting to html5 but does Xara support that?
    Videos can be saved as WebM and accessed by your xara design through a placeholder. HTML5 is not a codec but if you want to play WebM then many browsers will accept it.

The code at its simplest is <video src="index_htm_files\video.webm" controls></video>.

There is a slight saving over MP4 but you still have to offer MP4 as a fallback for (mobile) browsers like Safari:
    <video width="320" height="640" controls>
    <source src="index_htm_files\video.webm" type="video/webm">
    <source src="index_htm_files\video.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag
    </video>
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Videos can be saved as WebM and accessed by your xara design through a placeholder. HTML5 is not a codec but if you want to play WebM then many browsers will accept it.

The code at its simplest is <video src="index_htm_files\video.webm" controls></video>.

There is a slight saving over MP4 but you still have to offer MP4 as a fallback for (mobile) browsers like Safari:

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn. Is there some way to just click a box for the WeM, similar for Webp

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnzer View Post
    Thanks Acorn. Is there some way to just click a box for the WeM, similar for Webp
    No. I would have said.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat