Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1

    Default Which update and what version to do it to

    I have Xara Web Designer Premium 17 and Xara Designer Pro X 16. Both of them are now incapable of updating as they haven't been renewed. I really would like to add the webp format for my images as I have many and the space saving should be great. I have options to update both versions when I open them up but do they both have webp as part of the update, and which version is superior to the other anyway as I only want to update one of them.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    13,266

    Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnzer View Post
    I have Xara Web Designer Premium 17 and Xara Designer Pro X 16. Both of them are now incapable of updating as they haven't been renewed. I really would like to add the webp format for my images as I have many and the space saving should be great. I have options to update both versions when I open them up but do they both have webp as part of the update, and which version is superior to the other anyway as I only want to update one of them.
    Neither are covered yet through Magix. XDPX is the Daddy of XWDP so if I was going for one I would go for XDPX.

    However, for the same price as an XDPX Magix Upgrade, you can get Xara Pro+ by using the LIFETIME coupon offer for almost the same charge.
    This is a subscription and Pro+ is XDPX but many updates ahead.

    If at the end of the year's subscription you want to revert back to Magix, I am sure WebP will be available by then.

    Fuller details here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...415#post636415.

    Acorn
    Acorn - installed and active Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+, XDPX, XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7, Xara Xtreme 5, back through time (to CC's Artworks).
    Raise software faults with MagiXara: http://support.magix.net/; if Cloud+/Pro+: https://xara.com/contact-us/

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Neither are covered yet through Magix. XDPX is the Daddy of XWDP so if I was going for one I would go for XDPX.

    However, for the same price as an XDPX Magix Upgrade, you can get Xara Pro+ by using the LIFETIME coupon offer for almost the same charge.
    This is a subscription and Pro+ is XDPX but many updates ahead.

    If at the end of the year's subscription you want to revert back to Magix, I am sure WebP will be available by then.

    Fuller details here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...415#post636415.

    Acorn
    No point in updating then really. I guess there are other useful things in the update over what I already have but it's webp that I'm needing. I can work with both versions already. The funny thing is that I can use things from one version then apply them to the other with a copy and paste. Such as new site templates.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    13,266

    Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

    Why is that funny. One has a subset of the other but both use the same core code. XDPX is the one that you should savour.

    Acorn
    Acorn - installed and active Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+, XDPX, XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7, Xara Xtreme 5, back through time (to CC's Artworks).
    Raise software faults with MagiXara: http://support.magix.net/; if Cloud+/Pro+: https://xara.com/contact-us/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brockville, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    4,441

    Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

    VERY VERY over simplified ...

    Xara Designer Pro - Has everything

    Xara Photo and Graphic Designer is a cutdown version of Xara Designer Pro with only the photo/drawing tools.

    Xara Web Designer is a cutdown version of Xara Designer Pro with only the web design tools.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Neither are covered yet through Magix. XDPX is the Daddy of XWDP so if I was going for one I would go for XDPX.

    However, for the same price as an XDPX Magix Upgrade, you can get Xara Pro+ by using the LIFETIME coupon offer for almost the same charge.
    This is a subscription and Pro+ is XDPX but many updates ahead.

    If at the end of the year's subscription you want to revert back to Magix, I am sure WebP will be available by then.

    Fuller details here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...415#post636415.

    Acorn
    I have an email from Xara saying WebDesigner Pro + will support webp files from April 22nd. It then says "With the release of Web Core Vitals in May 2021, loading speed will be even MORE important for SEO." So it looks as if May will be the date for support of webp rather than 22nd April, or perhaps when the need for it becomes more important.
    Is it being included in any new upgrade right now or would it be necessary to buy a complete new program.
    I downloaded a trial version of WDP+ and tried to import a webp file and it says it doesn't support that format. Very confusing.....

    Also, when I click the UPGRADE on the trial version it gives prices in $'s but the same figure is then shown exactly the same when I change to 's. Discrimination or what?
    Maybe it would be less expensive to take another trial for another email address and do all the downloads etc via a VPN.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

    I have an email from Xara saying Web Designer Pro + will support WebP files from April 22nd. It then says "With the release of Web Core Vitals in May 2021, loading speed will be even MORE important for SEO." So it looks as if May will be the date for support of WebP rather than 22nd April, or perhaps when the need for it becomes more important.
    Web Core Vitals is a description of Google's updated approach to SEO (among broader recommendations) - Google Web Core Vitals.

    Xara's support for WebP is long overdue and like most Xara enhancements it will appear in Web Designer Pro+ first; it will eventually (we trust) filter down into Web Designer Premium and Web Designer Pro (the latter two being distributed by Magix though authored by Xara).

    WebP is important, but if your site is not 'mobile friendly' and does not have an SSL certificate (gives you https), I'd be making sure these issues were addressed too.

    A good starting point is to 'inspect' your site in a Chrome Browser (right click on the page and pick inspect); then run the Google 'Lighthouse' test. It's a very useful part of the Developer Tools - when you've achieved 4 GREEN circles you're on the right track.

    Gary

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    13,266

    Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnzer View Post
    I have an email from Xara saying WebDesigner Pro + will support webp files from April 22nd. It then says "With the release of Web Core Vitals in May 2021, loading speed will be even MORE important for SEO." So it looks as if May will be the date for support of webp rather than 22nd April, or perhaps when the need for it becomes more important.
    Is it being included in any new upgrade right now or would it be necessary to buy a complete new program.
    I downloaded a trial version of WDP+ and tried to import a webp file and it says it doesn't support that format. Very confusing.....

    Also, when I click the UPGRADE on the trial version it gives prices in $'s but the same figure is then shown exactly the same when I change to 's. Discrimination or what?
    Maybe it would be less expensive to take another trial for another email address and do all the downloads etc via a VPN.
    WebP is supported in two way: (1) You can explicitly Export WebP for any shapes; (2) your website will render WebP over PNG/JPEG if the viewer's browser can handle them (automatically).

    What is not yet available is the Import of WebP images but Xara has stated this is coming soon.

    So, with Xara Pro+, WebP rendering has arrived and will assist in overall performance benefit (as detailed by @Initiostar above).

    Yes, both Xara and Magix (and many others) abuse the relative exchange rates, seemingly with impunity.
    One day, some regulator will nail them all and we will get a few drachmas back.
    Meantime, when paying through your card, you could check to see it that handles foreign currencies more cheaply.

    I think you have failied to fully understand the difference between the Magix and Xara direct offerings.

    WebP is currently only with Xara Pro+, which is a subscription.
    You are automatically upgraded during the subscription.

    Magix's XDPX is a way behind. You will get WebP when Magix decides.
    It will wait until the majority of its customers will need to renew their Update Service.

    Neither route requires you to purchase an new program.

    Finally, why would you even consider abusing the Xara/Magix trials by hiding behind different email addresses and VPN?
    If you are a hobbyist then 10/m is cheap for a hobby. If you are a website builder, you recoup your Xara cost in one professional sale.
    Xara is even offering an Affiliate route at 20% back to you for each referral.

    Acorn

    P.S. There is no beast called " WebDesigner Pro +".
    Acorn - installed and active Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+, XDPX, XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7, Xara Xtreme 5, back through time (to CC's Artworks).
    Raise software faults with MagiXara: http://support.magix.net/; if Cloud+/Pro+: https://xara.com/contact-us/

  9. #9

    Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

    OK then. I paid for the Xara Pro+ today. As you say, the price isn't over the top for the things I get.
    Just another webp question though. I do have some files of that nature and as expected from the explanation I can't drag and drop them onto a page.
    So, the rendering is done by Xara from jpeg or png? How does that impact on a sites Google scrutiny? If anyone's browser can't handle webp the page loading will take longer when it's rich in images. It's that very thing I want to avoid. I know there are dozens of things that can impact page speed but I want to nail this on the head. If Xara has the option to render, then surely it must have duplicate images in the file system, or is the rendering done at time of page load and if so then that must also surely slow page opening thus removing the advantage of small image file size.
    Finally, can you point me to a site where webp images are shown in webp for supported browsers so I can compare them to a non supported browser.

    The funny thing is that even the images on Xara's own website show as png's so perhaps they are blowing a lot of smoke on website rendering. Or maybe they aren't using Xara Pro+ themselves????

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    20,461

    Default Re: Which update and what version to do it to

    Or maybe they aren't using Xara Pro+ themselves????
    That's correct.

    So, the rendering is done by Xara from jpeg or png?
    Correct.

    If anyone's browser can't handle webp the page loading will take longer when it's rich in images. It's that very thing I want to avoid. I know there are dozens of things that can impact page speed but I want to nail this on the head. If Xara has the option to render, then surely it must have duplicate images in the file system, or is the rendering done at time of page load and if so then that must also surely slow page opening thus removing the advantage of small image file size.
    When you publish the site Xara creates 4 images for each image. Example below:

    The browser will down-load the most relevant one depending on visitors machine & browser.
    Google will see you have maximised images and not mark you down for this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	129539  
    Egg

    Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •