Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question Re: Discussion on different images on different variants

@pauland, but I agree; it is a discussion.
    One I appreciate.

BTW, the argue you referenced for Portrait is fine. I was not advocating Landscape as a default or a requirement, just that the viewer has the choice to swivel.
    Preventing Landscape as a UX state would be a dangerous precedent. The closest I can think of is taking a photo on a smartphone. Who would buy one that didn't allow the phone to be rotated 1800 so it was upside down for that special snap?

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 26 April 2021 at 04:14 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Discussion on different images on different variants

Well if you have a large image ( pixel size ) for desktop, using one half that size ( in pixels ) could give you 1/4 of the MB payload. A cropped image may be far better for that format and the filesizes much smaller.
    Within Xara you have an 960px desktop version, with an image 960px wide. You name it 'Desktop'. You create a 480px mobile variant. The 960px version image is too large so you resize it to 480px. Xara creates two images:

Desktop.jpg size =163.45 kB which is served to the desktop PC

Desktop1.jpg size =30.35 kB which is served to the desktop PC

If you crop the Main version image and place it on the mobile variant and resize that to 480px and name it 'Cropped'. Xara creates the image:

Cropped.jpg size =25.84 kB (dependant on the reduced colours)

So there's no great saving between the resized and cropped images. Aesthetically a cropped image MAY look better but the filesize saving is small.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank You. You’ve answered my question. And the answer is there is nothing wrong with designing a totally new variant with different images.
    The program in question automatically shows all images, text and elements on all variants. When working on a phone variant you have the option to “not show” or make invisible these elements. Physically you cannot exclude these elements.
    Another reason why I like Xara so much. We do have a choice.
    The program is also on the Mac platform that handles things much differently.
    Xara is my program of choice for the Windows platform along with Affinity programs. The Mac platform struggles with programs for web development. I haven’t found anything close to Xara for web design.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Thank You. You’ve answered my question. And the answer is there is nothing wrong with designing a totally new variant with different images.
    The program in question automatically shows all images, text and elements on all variants. When working on a phone variant you have the option to “not show” or make invisible these elements. Physically you cannot exclude these elements.
    Another reason why I like Xara so much. We do have a choice.
    The program is also on the Mac platform that handles things much differently.
    Xara is my program of choice for the Windows platform along with Affinity programs. The Mac platform struggles with programs for web development. I haven’t found anything close to Xara for web design.
    -Bill
    Bill, thank you for the clarification. Xara (the company) will be pleased.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat