Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Add Language

Default Add Language

Hello fellow Xara user's. I love Xtreme 5 and have used it for years. I now want to fire up Photo & Graphite Designer 16 and use it. My problem is getting the spell check to work. Seems I have to add a language or something? Xtreme 5 came with several languages pre-loaded. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spell.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	129480

Default Re: Add Language

I think you get a choice of English or German.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	language.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	129485  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I think you get a choice of English or German.
    The new Pro+ Version shows this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-23 181025.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	129488  

Quote Originally Posted by FLySOLO View Post
    The new Pro+ Version shows this.
    I checked my P&GD10 and it has the same.
    You probably need to invoke Help > Download content installer in P&GD16 to get the extra Languages.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

It used to be easy. As stated in de WebDesigner manual:
    "Web Designer's spell checker is based on the Open Source Hunspell library used without any modifications under the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1. You can find a copy of the Mozilla Public License in the file MPL-1.1.txt in the "dict" folder of your Web Designer installation and a copy of the Hunspell source code at http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/. "

I used to head over to that site and copy the necessary .aff and .dic files and put them in the /dict folder. They would be recognised with the restart of Xara.

But with the newer versions it isn't the case anymore. Somewhere in the development of XDP one decided this should be difficult....

But there's a workaround: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Designer/page2 the second last post bu HayTay mentions the good old trick with substitution files ...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It used to be easy. As stated in de WebDesigner manual:
    "Web Designer's spell checker is based on the Open Source Hunspell library used without any modifications under the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1. You can find a copy of the Mozilla Public License in the file MPL-1.1.txt in the "dict" folder of your Web Designer installation and a copy of the Hunspell source code at http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/. "
    I used to head over to that site and copy the necessary .aff and .dic files and put them in the /dict folder. They would be recognised with the restart of Xara.
    But with the newer versions it isn't the case anymore. Somewhere in the development of XDP one decided this should be difficult....
    But there's a workaround: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Designer/page2 the second last post bu HayTay mentions the good old trick with substitution files ...
    Michael, I believe the original OP ask was to get access to the Languages Xara provided.

Before he jumps into your useful find, it would make sense to work out why those default Languages are not being presented.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hello, thanks for the suggestions. Sorry, I was away from my computer all weekend. I can't access the content catalog any longer but I did purchase the backup DVD when I bought the program. Is there a way for me to download the language from the DVD? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mcspade View Post
    Hello, thanks for the suggestions. Sorry, I was away from my computer all weekend. I can't access the content catalog any longer but I did purchase the backup DVD when I bought the program. Is there a way for me to download the language from the DVD? Thanks!
    The Support page states:
    By default, only the English US & UK dictionaries are installed. You can install the other languages from the content pack after unlocking, by going to Help > Download Content Installer.
    I have always believed the Content Installer was separate to the Update Service. Have you tried Help > Download content installer at all?
    It should be part of the DVD as well.

Acorn

Thanks Acorn, I will try your suggestions and report back.

Thanks Acorn. Simple fix, I never downloaded the content installer. I now have my dictionary. Thanks again!