Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New WebP Support

Bit late on parade here...
    Firstly I'd comment that the inclusion of webp is a great new feature, one members have been requesting a lot recently. So with this, hidef and fit to width I'd like to say that Xara is getting back on track over the past few months.

I can only test whether the new webp inclusion serves up non webp images as an alternative by testing it on my iphone6 which has an old version of Safari. Safari is the latest big browser to support webp but the version on my iphone isn't capable afaik. This browsers loads an image. I can't find how to discover whether its a webp or jpg but I'm pretty sure it'll be the jpg version.

Here's the link to the demo site
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Downloads in my Firefox, Edge, Waterfox, and Brave browsers as webp Egg.

Shows fine in Safari, and Edge on my iPhone.

Downloads in my Firefox, Edge, Waterfox, and Brave browsers as webp Egg.
    I would expect this Gary.

Shows fine in Safari, and Edge on my iPhone.
    Also expected as you have a fairly new iPhone with probably the latest version of Safari which now enables webp.

My question (and I believe Acorns) is older browsers downloading the jpg files?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg - I think Rob explained in one of these posts that the script searches for webp support and if it does not find the support then exports a straight JPG file.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I would expect this Gary.
    Also expected as you have a fairly new iPhone with probably the latest version of Safari which now enables webp.
    My question (and I believe Acorns) is older browsers downloading the jpg files?
    Egg, the WebP/JPEG/PNG equivalents are all present. There is code to detect when the browser can handle which and so every browser gets the right file format, except Internet Explorer, it would appear.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

One of my clients is an artist. His site contains about 40 works of art. When I use the WebP feature, the artwork appears watery and low res. When I post the site without using WebP then the artwork is once again clear and detailed. So, for now, I will have to refrain from using the feature on that site, regardless how it upsets Google's sensibilities.

Hi Dan,

Can you send me your WEB/XAR file and let me know where these images are so we can take a look at what is happening? https://www.xara.com/contact-us/

Thanks
    Rob