Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cache Control Meta Data Tags

Hi there

I use Xara Web Designer Premium 18.0.0.61670 DL x64 Mar 22 2021.

I am totally new to web design and have made a site for my woodworking club. I will say at this point that my knowledge of all things computing is limited.

I am having issues with the browsers using cached versions of the site rather than refreshing. I have been told that T should add "Cache Control Meta Data Tags". HELP! I have no idea how to or where to add these.

Your SIMPLE help would be very much appreciated

Kevin

Default Re: Cache Control Meta Data Tags

Quote Originally Posted by Fatblokekev View Post
    Hi there
    I use Xara Web Designer Premium 18.0.0.61670 DL x64 Mar 22 2021.
    I am totally new to web design and have made a site for my woodworking club. I will say at this point that my knowledge of all things computing is limited.
    I am having issues with the browsers using cached versions of the site rather than refreshing. I have been told that T should add "Cache Control Meta Data Tags". HELP! I have no idea how to or where to add these.
    Your SIMPLE help would be very much appreciated
    Kevin
    Kevin, Xara HTML is designed to be static so can be run from a local disk or a server.

Caching is a mechanism to save time running to get things you already have. So after the first download locally or from your service provider, your browser(s) store assets like images, files and scripts (and cookies and ...).

When you design and republish this caching can get in the way. You can clear your browsing history with a Clear Cache command - Ctrl+F5.
    This is what most need but clearly when publishing you don't want to advise viewers to do this repeatedly.

If you have a proper service provider, you can set up appropriate caching expiries for the above. They usually do not need major changes.
    The real problem you may face is if you have a service that deploys your website to distributed servers such as Cloudflare.
    You then have to force caching off for each publish. This is not difficult and if you do not, the caching is purged anyhow after a few hours.

Finally, although not the best solution, you can add your own Meta Tags through Web Properties > Website > HTML Code (head).
    I would read the linked articles in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...770#post631770 to get to grips with the detail.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat