Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Keep images in place

Quote Originally Posted by Struggler View Post
    Thanks, Acorn. I'll see if that helps and report back.
    (I don't regularly save anything in XAR format. I only used it here because it produces a single compressed file, rather than the collection of files generated by XWDP's default WEB format).
    Struggler, XWDP only saves the one file (.WEB), that is actually identical to the .XAR file. I truly do not understand what you are trying to describe.

When you Export or Publish, you get a "collection of files". You never work from these directly. The .XAR / .WEB is the master design file.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You're a genius, Acorn - but I'm sure that you knew that already anyway

Being thick (as always), I was only looking at the image properties and forgetting altogether about the text ones. I can't even recall why I added 'HTMLBlockText' in the name fields now. I know it was something to do with trying to resolve a screen reader compatibility issue for the site but I don't think it was actually necessary anyway now.

Thanks a million!

(I'm a moderator myself on the UK's largest - only? - general Q & A website and I spend much of my time trying to find answers for people on that site. It's lovely to be "on the other end of the system" for a change though, especially when there are such helpful people as you around!)

Thanks again!

Crossed posts!

Whenever I save in WEB format, I get a single file and an accompanying file folder. I sort of assumed that, just like when exporting a website, there was one index file and a whole host of other files inside the folder. Now that I've actually looked though, I've found that each of those folders contains just a single image file - so I haven't got a clue as to what it's purpose is anyway!

Crossed posts!

Whenever I save in WEB format, I get a single file and an accompanying file folder. I sort of assumed that, just like when exporting a website, there was one index file and a whole host of other files inside the folder. Now that I've actually looked though, I've found that each of those folders contains just a single image file - so I haven't got a clue as to what it's purpose is anyway!
    You get a folder generated (Support Folder is filename_xar_files) whenever you link to an external resource. You might being doing it but didn't know the implication.

is filename_xar_files (or filename_web_files) the name of the folder?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi again, Acorn.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Whenever I've saved a file from XWD (or XWDP) using the WEB format, I've always ended up with both a file and a folder, as illustrated here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Explorer.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	129435

That's why (since I'd never had any reason to inspect the folder contents) I'd assumed that the 'Save' process was akin to that of saving a web page from a browser, where a file is created that contains the HTML code for creating that page, together with a folder containing all of the necessary files to do so.

Now that you've prompted me to look inside those folders though, I see that every one of them contains just one image file - and it's always the same one!

Name:	Folder.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	129436

Weird!

Hi again, Acorn.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Whenever I've saved a file from XWD (or XWDP) using the WEB format, I've always ended up with both a file and a folder, as illustrated here:

Name:	Explorer.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	129435

That's why (since I'd never had any reason to inspect the folder contents) I'd assumed that the 'Save' process was akin to that of saving a web page from a browser, where a file is created that contains the HTML code for creating that page, together with a folder containing all of the necessary files to do so.

Now that you've prompted me to look inside those folders though, I see that every one of them contains just one image file - and it's always the same one!

Name:	Folder.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	129436

Weird!
    No, it's the way Xara handles external assets.

At some point you linked to the file rather than dragged it onto the design page.
    panorama_website.web doesn't have a Support Folder.

Thereafter, Xara assumes you want it so it never deletes it and you get the Support Folder, filename_web_files.
    Xara does not offer any housekeeping routines and if the file was 1GB, it would appear thereafter in every Backup.
    Even worse when you publish and it is not a Fast Publish, Xara uploads the 1GB file all over again.

So many fall unknowingly into this and wonder why Backups and Uploads take so long.

If you have no need for the file, you can deletes each and every folder (and contents).
    That said I would always keep one copy but never the master as it will duplicate again and again.

Acorn

Thanks, Acorn.

When I first started work on my site, I used the Panorama template and then ended up deleting everything except for the navigation bar. (Yes, I know that seems an odd way of doing things now but it was my first time of using the program and I was still very much fumbling in the dark with it).

Looking inside the index_htm_files folder, that's generated when I publish the site locally to my hard drive, I see that there are quite a few image files from the Panorama template that have been preserved, even though I've deleted them within XWDP:

Name:	htm_files.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	129439

None of them are massive, so they're no going to greatly impede the speed of uploading the site, but I'm thinking of deleting them from the folder manually nonetheless. Could that do any harm, do you think? (Opening the 'index' file with Notepad shows that there's still a load of lorem ipsum there too but I'm prepared to live with that. As I see it, there's not much point in using a WYSIWYG program if I'm going to end up rewriting the HTML!)

Thanks again for all your help.