Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keep images in place

As I've written before, I'm an absolute newbie to XWDP 18, so please be gentle with me

When viewing the site I'm working on in XWDP, it looks like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	129420

When previewing it in Slimjet though, it looks like this

Name:	Slimjet.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	129421

I know that I can use 'Anchor to text' to keep images in place while I'm working within XWDP 18, so I suppose what I'm really looking for is something equivalent to that, which will work when I actually publish my website. i.e. I want to ensure that the images remain in the gap within the text.

I'm currently working with a fixed width (1200 px) design. (My Slimjet screenshot is taken from my laptop monitor, with a horizontal resolution of 1366 px). So there's no stretching or compression of the page width involved here.

I'm sure that I'm missing something incredibly simple here. Please tell me what it is!

Default Re: Keep images in place

It may be incredibly simple but I don't know either.
    The only difference is that the Preview will retain a memory of past changes.
    The view into your published site will have a different history.

In both Preview and Publish, I would press Ctrl+F5, or Slimjet's equivalent, to clear the browser cache and look again.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for your post, Acorn. All of my browsers are configured to delete the cache and cookies whenever I close them. I tried your suggestion anyway though but, alas, it didn't help.

I've now worked out what is going wrong but I still can't see why it's going wrong!

I've got 'Repel Text Under' ticked for all of the images on the site (with 15px set as the repel margin). So, in XWDP, I'm seeing this

Name:	Echo -XWDP.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	129427

However when I preview the page in Slimjet, the 'Repel text under' command hasn't been preserved , meaning that I see this

Name:	Echo - Browser.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	129428

I've tried the old trick of 'turning it off and turning it on again' (i.e. removing the 'Repel text under tick and then reinstating it) but, sadly, it seems to make no difference.

Has anyone got any clue as to why the text isn't being repelled when I preview the site?

(Incidentally, this problem wasn't present when I was using the basic XWD 18. It's only since I persuaded Magix to give me a free upgrade to XWDP 18 that the problem seems to have arisen. So I now seem to be worse off than before!)

PS: I've tried actually publishing the site to my hard drive, rather than simply previewing it but the result is still the same

PPS: On another variation of 'turn it off and turn it on again', I've tried deleting an image and then re-inserting it (again with 'Repel text under' then added to its attributes) but it still makes no difference at all

Struggler, I think we need to get your design file or at least the offending objects in a separate upload.

Have you viewed the published site in any other browser?
    If it is all right then it is Slimjet at fault.

The image needs to be above the text before it repels.
    The Layer the image is on needs to not have Layer properties se to repel only text in that layer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Does it do the same in all browsers or just Slimjet?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks for the replies.

The problem is present in other Chromium-based browsers, such as Edge and Chrome, too. It's also there in Firefox.

I'm only working on the base layer.

As my illustrations at 4.59pm show, 'Repel text under' works absolutely fine within XWDP itself. (If I move an image around, the text auto-adjusts to flow around it). The problem only occurs when I preview or export my website, when XWDP produces a website where the 'Repel text under' command has been totally ignored for every image that it's been applied to.

I've exported what I've done on the design so far as an XAR file, which I attach here.
    index.xar

If it loads the same for you as it does for me, everything in the 'Gallery' page displays correctly. (i.e. with the text repelled by the images). However, when previewing the site in a browser, the images overlay the text.

Ideas, anyone?

Struggler, remove the Name HTMLBlockText from your Text Areas.
    This changes the HTML to be inside <p> Tags and the construction of the Repel Under is destroyed.

In passing, I do truly hope you are not saving any of your works as index.xar, ever!

Acorn

Thanks, Acorn. I'll see if that helps and report back.

(I don't regularly save anything in XAR format. I only used it here because it produces a single compressed file, rather than the collection of files generated by XWDP's default WEB format).