Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guidelines appear on every page

I've now made Xara Designer Pro+ my main graphics program. It's a marvelous program. So far, I've just discovered one thing that it needs for speedy work...

Guidelines that appear on all pages

If I'm redoing a multipage document, perhaps imported as a PDF or from another program, for layout purposes it's essential that a new Guideline I make appears on all pages. Having to make the same Guideline appear individually on each page is too slow and unnecessary. This is, at least, a workaround to not having Master Page or Master Layer functionality.

My workaround is to make repeatable 'marker line' objects, and delete them for document export or printing.

Any possibility of that function being added into the system?

Seamus

Default Re: Guidelines appear on every page

You shouldn't need to delete anything from the guideline layer. it shouldn't either print or export.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

That's right. And I can hide all the marker lines just by clicking the eye icon in the Guides layer on any one page.

I love it!

If you start with a master page with all your guideline in place then every new page will have the same guidelines. And if you make the guidelines invisible in the first page, then they will become invisible on all the other pages.

One problem I have had recently on a paperback book I am producing, is for some reason, on some of the pages, about 1/4" of the guidelines appear at the bottom of the pages in the PDF file. If I make the guidelines invisible, then this does not happen.

Great tip Gary.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Yes, I’ll remember that, thanks!

Be nice if we can have different color guides.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Be nice if we can have different color guides.
    Been asked for, more than once: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...e-Layer-colors.

Do raise it as a separate Dear Xara Thread if you want any traction.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Didn't XaReg have the ability to change the guideline colour? I can't remember.

EDIT: Just checked it out ... Yes, it can change guideline colour.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Didn't XaReg have the ability to change the guideline colour? I can't remember.
    EDIT: Just checked it out ... Yes, it can change guideline colour.
    Keith, I took it to be multiple colours.
    You don't need XaReg, just Named Colours to change from the default Red.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat