Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default changing hosts and ssl

I have built an extensive website over the years using xara web designer
    My host provider is Plusnet.
    My site is losing views since Google added a grey triangle to its url.
    I apparently need a SSL certificate to make my site safe.
    Plusnet do not do SSL certificates and also Magix don’t either I think.
    I am stuck!
    Have I to change providers I wonder? Doing a bit of research it seems host providers would want me to plug into their own template based system if I want a ssl certificate off them?
    I am not sure if I would still be able to develop my website with xara if I changed hosts, and many also seem to have lots of sliding scales for extra payments?
    So ideally I want to find a host for my domain who would allow me to carry on with Xara building a website and providing a ssl certificate and help installing it?
    Non-technical advice would be very welcome.

Default Re: changing hosts and ssl

Most hosting companies offer a free SSL through LetsEncrypt, even if they don't offer it automatically you can check out this article https://letsencrypt.org/getting-started/ . Isn't plusnet a broadband provider? I would look for a better hosting company (siteground is very good, free SSL as well). I can't think of any hosting provider who would want you to use their site creator in order to use an SSL, if they do then stay far away.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    Most hosting companies offer a free SSL through LetsEncrypt, even if they don't offer it automatically you can check out this article https://letsencrypt.org/getting-started/ . Isn't plusnet a broadband provider? I would look for a better hosting company (siteground is very good, free SSL as well). I can't think of any hosting provider who would want you to use their site creator in order to use an SSL, if they do then stay far away.
    I will investigate and come back.
    If possible do you know of a business that uses xara web designer and have changed providers so as to fix the ssl problem?

I have used 1&1, now IONOS, for 10+ years for all the Xara websites that I manage: https://www.ionos.co.uk/hosting/web-hosting#packages. I have transferred-in several domains without any problem.

There of course many web-hosting companies - bluehost gets some great reviews: https://www.bluehost.com/hosting/shared and is probably a better overall package right now.

Should be relatively easy to transfer your domain and most web-hosting companies will help - both these companies include an SSL cert. Maybe call a couple and make your judgement, and just Google 'web hosting'

There's this on plusnets website.
    LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If I change my domain to Bluehost, or IONOS say, what sort of annual costs mount up over one year of a simplest basic hosting. I know I should ring them, but wanted to get your take on this. Also, I will contact tech support again in Plusnet. They said they did not do ssl cert last time, but this article sort of contradicts that.
    So, I have created my website using xara over 10 years, originally with Freenetname domain. This was taken over by Madasafish, then finally Plusnet. Could this be a problem I wonder for transferring data? I am paying nothing at all for my site on the net but now with a grey triangle.

The links in post#4 outline the costs and indicate GBP4-5 per month for a basic service. If you hunt around you will find a hosting company that is less.

To be clear these are hosting companies; they will not own your domain name. You should be able to transfer your domain name to any hosting company.

I followed Egg's link:

If you've got business broadband, or an older home broadband account that offers webspace, then read on. Your webspace uses the server ftp.plus.net, which supports SSL. That means it's possible to allow people visiting certain pages of your website to use a secure, encrypted SSL connection.

To do that, use the address https://homepages.plus.net/username.

If you want to access a specific file on your webspace using SSL, use https://homepages.plus.net/username/myfile.html for example. Remember to add https in any hyperlinks you use.

This won't work with:

I will look at all this info again and do more research on the above links to understand things more. Looks like lots of good advice. I do not want to make a mess of things after building my website for so long.

It's a bummer that Plusnet doesn't offer SSL certificates, but don't worry - you don't necessarily have to switch providers. Have you considered using a third-party SSL certificate provider like Let's Encrypt or Cloudflare? They're both free and can be used with a variety of hosting providers.
    If you do decide to switch hosts, make sure to do your research and find one that will support Xara and offer an SSL certificate. Some hosts may try to push you into using their template-based system, but you should be able to find one that lets you stick with what you're comfortable with. I personally recommend is*hosting for any purposes you might have.
    Last edited by Acorn; 21 February 2023 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Link removed

Quote Originally Posted by borsambeg View Post
    It's a bummer that Plusnet doesn't offer SSL certificates, but don't worry - you don't necessarily have to switch providers. Have you considered using a third-party SSL certificate provider like Let's Encrypt or Cloudflare? They're both free and can be used with a variety of hosting providers.
    If you do decide to switch hosts, make sure to do your research and find one that will support Xara and offer an SSL certificate. Some hosts may try to push you into using their template-based system, but you should be able to find one that lets you stick with what you're comfortable with. I personally recommend is*hosting for any purposes you might have.
    I have removed your link. Those that are interested in your unsolicited suggestion are more than welcome to find it themselves. It might not have been useful to all TGers; ping times to the States might be slow for many. That is where a free account with Cloudflare excels as then you are publishing through its edge servers that are world-wide.

The problem you have presented is a non-Xara design link in your very first Post. This is counter to the TG rules that you have not read carefully enough.

What you have said is actually solid other than all service providers will support a Xara design as it is static HTML.

Do note that you are replying to a Post that is almost two years old. Plusnet may or may not offer free SSL certificates but you provide no evidence of such. We try to work with facts, not opinions.

TL; DR? Then Any service provider + Cloudflare works extremely well.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 21 February 2023 at 03:16 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat