Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default 12 column grid for layouts

Hi all.

I'm kind of starting fresh with my website. So reading up it seems recommended that you use a 12 column layout to keep boxes, text etc neat.

My question is what do people use?

I started with lines on a grid layer, then thought transparent block. Now I'm not sure. So my question is what do the experts hear recommend?

BTW as always if you read this, thanks

Tim

Default Re: 12 column grid for layouts

Honestly? I basically wing it. I lay out the rough look I'm after given the clients wishes and photos. I only look at spacing and geometry at the end, after I'm as happy as I'm going to be with the overall look.

I usually do the desktop version first (somewhere between 1080 to 1200 with Stretch To Fit Width). I then make the mobile variant (640).

Going out on a limb and guessing that Acorn uses grids and things Pythagoras would be proud of; he has a mathematical mind. My mind is just marshmallow and tumble weed.

Luke Mumby Music
    Lake Bolac Caravan Park
    index (auzlink.net.au)
    Bryon Williams Author (bryonsbooks.com.au)
    Wilson & Wilson Legal (wilsonandwilsonlegal.com.au)

Hi,

I was winging it then it I could not make it consistent. I will follow your lead on doing the main first then the mobile

This is my route so far

I used this site work out the grid http://gridcalculator.dk to work out my spacings
    My settings were Width 1220 Gutter 40 Columns 6 Margin 30

From that I set the grid in Xara to 40pxls

And set up 6 columns at the right spacing and placed them at the back on there own layer that is locked.

It's working well so far.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Going out on a limb and guessing that Acorn uses grids and things Pythagoras would be proud of; he has a mathematical mind. My mind is just marshmallow and tumble weed.
    I hate clutter.

I always start with the index page.
    I create a vertical Guide down the middle.
    I add Guide outriggers - 32px in left & 32px back right.
    I set a horizontal Guide to be the base of the Menu Bar.

I set a Footer Guide.

I make most of my images and text areas have a push of 4px.

I use rectangles of 2px thickness and never lines as a Xara Line is an image!

Yes, I use maths - powers of 2 where possibly.
    Why. Scaling into a Variant then does not end up with fractions.

I then break the mould with images larger or smaller to occasionally break the top to bottom flow.

A grid approach is only really useful for a responsive site and with flex being more prevalent, even this has had its day.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I didn't know what to expect, but that seems rather straight forward for an Acorn response

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I didn't know what to expect, but that seems rather straight forward for an Acorn response
    Success, I am starting to make you think!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi, TimBox. I always use a column layout. With 12 columns for the desktop variant and with 4 columns for the mobile variant. If I include a tablet variant, it has 8 columns. I try to adjust the gutters and margins in a way that the column widths are identical (or at least close) across variants. It's never an exact science.