Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Layers blend mode

It would be really nice an useful to have the ability to change blend mode and opacity on the entire layers and not only on the single elements using transparency.
    Marco.

Default Re: Layers blend mode

Can you isolate the layer and/or lock the other layers, and Select All and then apply your transparency?

Marco, when you select a number of items into a collection (layer, soft-group, Shift+Select) and apply a non-Flat Fill or Transparency, the effect is applied to the width/height of the collection as if a single object.
    Feathering and Shadows are always applied to the individual objects.

What are you trying to achieve?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

way back I banged the drum for nested layers in xara - the reply I got was that in xara, groups are the equivalent of layers in 'other' programs.... so nested layers were not seen as 'necessary'

I still would like nested layers - it would fit better with PSD for a start, and more besides

I mention this because it may help whatever you are trying to do, to look at it this way...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Marco, when you select a number of items into a collection (layer, soft-group, Shift+Select) and apply a non-Flat Fill or Transparency, the effect is applied to the width/height of the collection as if a single object.
    Feathering and Shadows are always applied to the individual objects.

What are you trying to achieve?

Acorn
    I know that, but having a layer with a blend mode would let you work with solid colors and add thinghs in the layer while showing you the effect of the blending while working.
    Is not easy to explain for me, not beeing english my first language, but there are a lot situations in which it would be really useful.
    There is a twitch channel (MattgyverTV) where he does this technique in Illustrator while drawing an coloring his artwork leveraging the blend mode of the layer to mask things on the fly using a white fill on a layer where multiply blend mode is active, but still beeing able to see what's under the layer, in that case the reference drawing.
    Last edited by Acorn; 11 April 2021 at 04:52 PM.
    Marco.

yes if I understand you right that is another big gripe with the 'groups-are-the-equivalent-of layers' mantra

in xara you cannot edit objects within the group easily unless you edit inside, and then you loose the attribute globally applied to the group [and sight of everything else]
    Nothing lasts forever...

I hope I understand you Marco and thank you for explaining.

Can you not work with ClipView where you have placed a cover over the group?
    You can perform quite a few manipulations, admittedly, having to select the clipped objects and the cover.
    The hardest part is unclipping to add in something else.

I couldn't find which MattgyverTV video covers the Illy approach.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I hope I understand you Marco and thank you for explaining.

I couldn't find which MattgyverTV video covers the Illy approach.

Acorn
    Here is the link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/982294549 look at around this time of the video 02:12:47
    Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes if I understand you right that is another big gripe with the 'groups-are-the-equivalent-of layers' mantra

in xara you cannot edit objects within the group easily unless you edit inside, and then you loose the attribute globally applied to the group [and sight of everything else]
    Exactly, you understood the problem perfectly, although I don't know how you did it considering my terrible explanation.
    Last edited by Marco D; 11 April 2021 at 07:58 PM.
    Marco.

I understand, I think, because I have been where you are now

I really do wish xara would take layers seriously from a graphic design point of view
    Nothing lasts forever...