Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Web Designer 18 Premium - Error

They should have never called it 18 with all the issues it has been having and lack of features.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    They should have never called it 18 with all the issues it has been having and lack of features.
    By now you ought to realise that Xara is obliged to release a Magix major version every year.
    Some might consider the HiDPI capability worth the cost.

Acorn

P.S. While I am vocal about Xara Bugs, I have not noted many this time around & I found the installer has improved.
    If anyone has "issues", it is far better to raise a separate Thread in the Dear Xara Forum. That way a Thread does not get hijacked.
    Last edited by Acorn; 09 April 2021 at 01:54 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Okay, I've gone and done this to both programs. I guess it's good to hear I'm not the only person having issues with 18, and yes, always update each year, so under the update service.

I did write into support but no reply. Hoping they watch over the forum so they can be working on fixes!
    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you right click on your program icon and select properties / compatibility tab, you should see an option towards the bottom to tick 'run this program as an administrator' - if you do this it should run automatically that way without you having to do it yourself; it might be worth doing this with version 17 as well, just in case the programs are interferring with each other...

no consolation, but you are not the only person having issues with 17 to 18 upgrade [I'm assuming you did this under the update service and did not buy version 18 seperately]

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    I have gone back to 17 as there are none of these issues there. In fact 18 every time I opened it, even though set to fast upload only the files I worked on, was uploading lots of things I hadn't touched. It's very slow compared to 17. Even after telling it to upload all of it, it still wasn't working. 17 is doing fine. What's up with these things? A bit frustrated today and wasted so much time. 18 was not updating my menu in the mobile version even though I made changed.
    Sue, I am sorry you have had these problems. I cannot address why you are getting these issues.

The "Error, failed to copy the XAR file's support folder." could be just that and you have a bad sector on your hard disk.

Full uploads and changes not happening are usually signs of publishing to the wrong server location.

You should re-install v18 and engage with Xara directly; you can run v17 and v18 side-by-side.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hey Acorn.

Well, you sent me on a mission. No bad sectors, but I did allow 18 to load on my C drive which is now in the "red."So that's probably the problem. I normally put all my programs on an "N" drive, which has much more space. The "C" drive was for Windows mostly. Oops!

I haven't changed the server location, but I did check the Cpanel to make sure I wasn't close to over my allotment there. I'm at 80% so I should be okay.

I will reinstall 18 for sure now and put on the "N" drive, where it should have gone.

I appreciate you trying to inform me what that XAR file was so I could assess. Thank you much.

Will do a few things and hopefully 18 will be good to go and I can then let 17 become an uninstalled program.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Sue, I am sorry you have had these problems. I cannot address why you are getting these issues.

The "Error, failed to copy the XAR file's support folder." could be just that and you have a bad sector on your hard disk.

Full uploads and changes not happening are usually signs of publishing to the wrong server location.

You should re-install v18 and engage with Xara directly; you can run v17 and v18 side-by-side.

Acorn

acorn is the expert
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Does it happen when your autobackup is 'backing up', this happens periodically while you are working with the program running.

The time interval is in the Options settings.

If so, using File Explorer in win10 go to that folder on your hard drive. Right click the backups folder and see if in Properties and then Security (tab at the top) that it has Full Control, etc etc and Read and also Write enabled ticked for the users. The folder on mine is C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Xara\WebDesignerPremi um\18\Backups

This may not be the same as your problem but it fixed mine in 17 when the folder was not write enabled as the programme was trying to write a safety auto backup. It turns out after much searching at the time it was a side effect of one of the frequent Windows updates to disable the 'Write' in folders.

Quote Originally Posted by ukDalek View Post
    Does it happen when your autobackup is 'backing up', this happens periodically while you are working with the program running.
    If so, using File Explorer in win10 go to that folder on your hard drive. Right click the backups folder and see if in Properties and then Security (tab at the top) that it has Full Control, etc etc and Read and also Write enabled ticked for the users. The folder on mine is C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Xara\WebDesignerPremi um\18\Backups
    This may not be the same as your problem but it fixed mine in 17 when the folder was not write enabled as the programme was trying to write a safety auto backup. It turns out after much searching at the time it was a side effect of one of the frequent Windows updates to disable the 'Write' in folders.
    That is a good call.

I would move the Backups folder elsewhere regardless.
    If you are able to save to a second drive then with the Xara program on another; you are not waiting for Windows to decide what to save or render when an auto-backup kicks in.

Also, using a %localappdata% sub-folder will eventually cause you grief as application data has a tendency to be wiped by over keen tidy-up applications.
    Why Xara puts critical data here beggars belief, particularly the Cache!

Acorn

I would move the Backups folder elsewhere regardless
    I do not even use xara's autobackup - there is no need when I have a third party backup system already in place [acronis] backing everything up on the computer at similar intervals

yes it is a good call
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have installed 17 again and 18 again on another drive. Setting up backups to be on another separate drive, thanks to your suggestions. And am clearing my C fullish drive.
    As always, YOU are all so helpful and Acorn, bravo!
    Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by ukDalek View Post

Last edited by SueB; 09 April 2021 at 09:16 PM.