Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Info Re: Scale to Fit Width

Struggler, I would kick up a stink as it is very explicit at https://www.xara.com/uk/web-designer...#fitvid787204:
    Responsive Web Design
    This feature is in both Web Designer & Web Designer Premium

With Web Designer you can create multiple variants of a site - eg desktop, tablet, mobile - which are exported as a single HTML file, so that your site will dynamically change layout in response to the screen size of the viewer. What's more you can opt to scale the site to fit the browser width within variants, which ensures a better result for a wider variety of devices, and a smoother, more fluid transition within variants.

Example (The Auberge theme with desktop and mobile variants and '
    scale to fit width' on)

Does your website pass the Google mobile-friendly test? If not, you need Web Designer!
    Ask for a full refund but suggest a free upgrade would clear the air.

I had to download this to get it to play: https://www.xara.com/uploaded_files/...esponsive4.mp4

I am curious if XWD can handle a Scale to Fit Width design.
    See if this scales in Preview: Xara - STFW - W1200 - Max1800.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Scale to Fit Width

Thanks for your post, Acorn.

As far as I can tell, both from actually trying it and from reading the pdf manual, XWD can't open/import XAR files at all. (It uses the WEB file format for saving files). So I can't open your attachment.

Info Re: Scale to Fit Width

Quote Originally Posted by Struggler View Post
    Thanks for your post, Acorn.

As far as I can tell, both from actually trying it and from reading the pdf manual, XWD can't open/import XAR files at all. (It uses the WEB file format for saving files). So I can't open your attachment.
    Yes you can. All XWD can generate is .WEB but it reads in .XAR & .WEB (as they are one and the same).

Here is another file for you to play with: JS - Website Manual Zoom In & Out.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Your first file must have been corrupt, as it wouldn't open. The second one opens OK. When I export the website and then open it in either Slimjet (my default browser) or Firefox, I have to scroll from left to right to view the full width of the page. (i.e. it doesn't auto-fit the browser window).

Your first file must have been corrupt, as it wouldn't open. The second one opens OK. When I export the website and then open it in either Slimjet (my default browser) or Firefox, I have to scroll from left to right to view the full width of the page. (i.e. it doesn't auto-fit the browser window).
    Sorry that the first doesn't work for you.
    UPDATE: I have checked on all my Xara Desktop Applications and all open with the usual warnings (which as not a sign that the file is corrupt). As I don't have XDWv17/18, I still do not know if the STFW actually come over. It should. Xara packages all its products with usually just the User Interface cut down for the cheaper versions.

The second is manual as stated on the tin! I created it as a concept.
    I honesty expected you to just click around, as most Internet users do when faced with a new idea.
    In your browser's case do the three icons not show? I would have expected you to immediately press the minus icon until it fitted.
    i had thought of making a wide slider and you adjust to fit. Glad i didn't.
    Automation is not too difficult to set up but I still commend you raising it as bad marketing and chase a refund or remedy.

At least I was right that XWD can open .XARs.

Acorn

Thanks for the reply.

Expecting me to do things "as most internet users do" probably isn't a good idea Although I've occasionally toyed with some website design programs over the past few years, the last time I designed a 'real-life' website was probably about two decades ago (using Microsoft FrontPage), so I'm largely working in the dark at the moment. Things seem to have changed a bit during the past twenty years! While I'm not a total technical duffer, I'm a damned sight nearer to 70 than 60 years of age, and my little grey cells don't seem to work quite as fast as they used to

Thanks for your help, anyway. Even if I haven't yet remedied my problem, it's reassuring to know that I've not simply missed something obvious within XWD.

Even if I haven't yet remedied my problem, it's reassuring to know that I've not simply missed something obvious within XWD.
    Struggler, I installed XWD 18 (the basic version) on a spare computer and I can confirm that the Export tab is not available in this version (neither is the Analytics tab, as Acorn mentioned earlier). So, Xara's marketing pitch is off and you might want to ask for your money back or for a free/discounted upgrade, as others have already advised.

Thanks for your post, Boy.

I'm not someone who moans 'just for the sake of it'. When something goes wrong I'll often just shrug my shoulders and think "C'est la vie".

However when I feel cheated, as I do now, I'm damned good at digging my heels in, so the staff at Xara had better get ready for hearing a great deal from me

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Struggler, I installed XWD 18 (the basic version) on a spare computer and I can confirm that the Export tab is not available in this version (neither is the Analytics tab, as Acorn mentioned earlier). So, Xara's marketing pitch is off and you might want to ask for your money back or for a free/discounted upgrade, as others have already advised.
    Cheers Boy, thank you for that confirmation. As you have the program installed, could you load and run Xara - STFW - W1200 - Max1800.xar to prove that (a) it is not corrupt, (b) it does or does not STFW?

Acorn

Would love to comply with your request to check the file, Acorn, but I already removed it from the computer again.