Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Animation - GIF does not tween

Using Xara DPX16, but I understand that the following does not work in more recent versions either.

I created an animation (star that moves around, changes colour, rotates and resizes - named). The exported GIF does not tween whereas the AVI does. Is this normal or a bug?

The preview animates and tweens correctly.

Thanks,
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Default Re: Animation - GIF does not tween

John, any chance of the design file?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

you did remember to limit your tween palette to 256 colours ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

XAR animation file attached. Play the preview to see how it should work, then export to GIF to see that tweening does not work. This was brought to my attention on the Magix.info forum.

GIF animation not tweening.xar
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

I'm using XDP 15.1 and have the same results as you. However, when exporting to .AVI (tick 'Make background transparent' in the Animations Properties/AVI Options) tweening works. You, then, can convert the animation to a .gif, either online or using an appropriate video converter/NLE app.

@Boy

Thanks for checking. As we both indicated, the animation works fine when exported to AVI but not GIF. I would expect proper tweening when exporting to GIF, otherwise I would say that this is a bug. Since I have not upgraded, I'm hoping that someone with the latest version will check this, and if it is a bug, raise a ticket about it.

Using an external program is a workaround that should not be required.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

it does not tween in pro+ you just get the stop motion effect

I am not sure gif's have ever tweened in a xara program
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have checked in version 11 - again it shows tween in preview but not in the gif export
    Last edited by handrawn; 06 April 2021 at 04:23 PM. Reason: wrong glassess
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have just checked back to XX5.1 and there has never been a GIF tweening. To me this makes sense and you are creating a a step-by-step, timed animation that was originally the sole province of animation way back.

Yes tweening is clever but your GIF is 15kB against the default AVI of 80MB.

You could use the Blend Tool and create your own tweens and stuff each into a frame but this is way too tedious.
    My route would be GreenSock animation - https://greensock.com/docs/v3/GSAP/Tween, but if you have to mesh with a video that might complicate things.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

since a gif is limited to 256 palette I would question whether tweening is at all a good idea with a gif

sure you can do it in photoshop with index level raster images, but I was pretty sure xara had never done this

but it is a decade or so ago since I left behind the 'joy' of gif... and indeed using any program for animation that has no timeline....
    Last edited by handrawn; 06 April 2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: clarity
    Nothing lasts forever...