Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Incorporatring PHP into Xara website

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    @Acorn
    Thanks for the explanation.
    What is frustrating is that I knew zilch about PHP.
    Yesterday, I watched some YouTube tutorials (not the 6 hour one!) to get to grips with it and printed out and read some essays from the Internet.
    I've checked my Xara 300+ page manual and entered PHP into 'Help'. There doesn't seem to be ANY information about it. And little on this forum - I searched 'PHP', but suspect that wasn't long enough for any results, and found only a couple of queries.
    It's only been the help of you guys that has explained what I should do - and for that I'm more than grateful.
    But whoever it is who provide my Xara program are providing poor back-up in my book. It seems as though you have had to delve deeply into the program to see what it's capable of - and are then prepared to give of your time and expertise for novices like meself.
    Kudos!
    You are welcome. Xara doesn't mention it as it doesn't use it. The follow-on implementations has arisen through TG discussions over the years and Xara cobbling in a Placeholder Name of <html>; this was probably always around but only for developers. The logic is clear; the programs are supposed to be for designers and not programmers so no sniff of coding is allowed. Placeholders has been the dark horse since ever and slowly have refined into what we have at the moment, which is still pitiful.
    The Xara On-line service (run by Magix) does not run PHP at all.

Those who want on-line forms usually needs PHP if they are hosting in their domain.

If you are replacing your legacy site with Xara, you do not need to worry about PHP.
    You still need to tell your emptied environment you want the PHP engine to be 7.4.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    Just so as you know, I completely understood what you wrote in those first three lines.
    Furthermore, you yourself wrote "If you do not go to your web host settings and change that setting to a more modern version that has free support we will support the old version for you and charge you whether you use it or not. PLEASE GO NOW AND CHANGE THE PHP VERSION or we will charge you."
    To me this IS bullying. It's attempting to obtain money for something I can change for free.
    I don't agree with this assessment as bullying at all. They specifically told you that you would incur extra charges if the current PHP level was not changed.

I don't understand why you would see this as bullying they are not forcing you to do anything in order to get money from you. They are simply warning you so you can take action if you wish.

I like to add some PHP code to Xara pages. For everything but the index.<whatever> page all you have to do is change in the page properties tab to <page>.php.
    When you do that to the default index page Xara still publishes it as index.htm.
    To get around that all you have to do is add a new page, set it's name to "index.php" and set the old index page to 'xxxindex.htm". Next time you publish you will have both an "index.php" and a "xxxindex.htm" files. Fixes the problem!
    Check out oprf1963.com it is an exmple of an Xara index page using php without changing anything after publishing.