Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
Thanks for your reply.

The two websites to which they are referring did have PHP, but the version appears to now be out of date.
They were created using WebPlus.
I am in the process of converting them both to Xara, but was unaware that there was potentially an issue with PHP when constructing websites using Xara. Nor that Xara did not support PHP.
Since then I read Robert Turners article 'Can I insert PHP into Xara' - which frankly I didn't understand. (insert what code. You go into far more detail etc)
Fasthosts have generously allowed me an extra month to incorporate PHP into the websites, but I have been tied up with another project until now.
So I am left grappling with a problem that I didn't know existed when I bought Xara.
As @pauland and I have already said, you can upgrade to PHP7.4 at no cost and no ongoing support.
For your legacy site, just try that and check if anything breaks. If it does, go back to the older PHP version.

We are talking about a couple of clicks here. I had similar with all my WordPress sites and clicked to up-version and all just happened.
Your WebPlus design probably has some search or dropdown feature it creates through PHP. If these fail you are not losing everything and you then know what your priorities are.

Xara does support PHP; it just does not need it in its designs.
Xara delivers static HTML code; you augment it through the use of Third-party Widgets or PHP modules. Third-party modules are hosted remote to your provider and it is there responsibility to keep PHP current.
If anyone has First-party Widgets (installed on your server) or PHP server-side code, then they need to configure PHP to version 7.4. There is a difference between a website (HTML / PHP code) and the hosting environment (web server / PHP engine). If you use PHP code, your environment needs to have a supportable PHP engine.

If you want to include PHP modules from other parties, I have explain that there is a mechanism to do this.
Rob's article underpins this. He stated
Xara hosting unfortunately does not support PHP pages or Databases.
Xara hosting is a web hosting service, run by Magix, and nothing to do with the Xara Desktop Application.
Xara hosting is naff at best and is "designed" to avoid any concept of coding or programming.
You can ignore all that as you are using Fasthosts.

Acorn