Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Temp multilingual site

I designed my multilingual site www.carbonflip.ca to have only one folder with both French and English files distinguished by page names. Only later did I realize that menu handling would be cumbersome since I could not automatically add all pages to the different French and English menu. In any event the current Xara project has menus that must be added to each page for both languages and for main and mobile variants. Too much work!

So I want to restructure the site using the root folder for French with one Xara project and a subfolder for English using a different Xara project.

Since the main site is live I need to use a temporary add-on domain for testing. Once testing is finished I'll copy the new files into the original folder on the server.

My question is how to setup linking in my language buttons. Is there anyway I can use relative paths instead of absolute paths in the web properties dialog or a variable to represent different urls, the temp one and the final one? Or is there another solution?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WebProperties.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	131925
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WebProperties.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	131924  

Info Re: Temp multilingual site

eselick, you can use relative addressing for your language switcher links.

Your French and English site links are fine as Xara knows how to links between pages in the same design.

What you must do in your test area is keep the same relative path to the English sub-folder as it is to be in the live site.
    Let's assume the English sub-folder is ...site.../en/index.htm for its first page:
    • The relative link from accueil.htm to index.htm is simply en/index.tm.
    • The link back to index.htm is ../accueil.htm.

Each page follows the same approach.

Xara does not care what ...site... is.
    The../ part is how you move back up one folder, where the French site is.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Temp multilingual site

I have moved this to Web Design Chat.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    eselick, you can use relative addressing for your language switcher links.

Your French and English site links are fine as Xara knows how to links between pages in the same design.

What you must do in your test area is keep the same relative path to the English sub-folder as it is to be in the live site.
    Let's assume the English sub-folder is ...site.../en/index.htm for its first page:
    • The relative link from accueil.htm to index.htm is simply en/index.tm.
    • The link back to index.htm is ../accueil.htm.

Each page follows the same approach.

Xara does not care what ...site... is.
    The../ part is how you move back up one folder, where the French site is.

Acorn

In case others are working on multi-language sites, here is my approach: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-Language-Site.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat