Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Incorporatring PHP into Xara website

Being bullied by my web-server to use PHP on my Xara-created websites.
    Would sks tell me how to do this or direct me to a post(s) that explains this, please.

Default Re: Incorporatring PHP into Xara website

PHP is something that the web-server enables if the server supports it. If you have something like a form or a widget that use PHP then that is the only reason to be using PHP.

Basically you would run a Placeholder with links to the PHP files on your website for any widget.

If you are not currently running anything that requires PHP then the web server can enable PHP and it should not effect your site.

Ray

eraysure, when you say "web-server", do you means an automated message or a communication from your service provider?

In a Xara design, name the first page index.php; all new pages gain the .php extension.
    Now change a blank one to just index and put it as the first page; Xara requires this.

On your web server, the .htaccess file should be set up to handle .php files and the blank index.htm is ignored.

On any page, create a Placeholder shape and give it a special Name <html>.
    In the Placeholder HTML code (body), if you then include <php> Tagged detail, it precedes everything else on the page.
    Omit the <html> and the <php> details is added in the position that the Placeholder is in the layer hierarchy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Excellent.
    Thanks.
    It was a communication asking for £6+ a month to provide PHP cover. "Our records indicate that you have at least one Windows hosted website with an old version of PHP enabled, either 5.2, 5.4, 5.6, 7.0 or 7.2. All of these versions have reached end-of-support with their developers meaning there will be no new updates from the PHP community. We recommend that you upgrade to a newer version of PHP (at least 7.4). If you choose not to upgrade to a newer version of PHP, your sites may be at risk to any new security vulnerabilities, as the PHP Community developers will not be providing patches to outdated versions.

However, from 22nd April 2021 our developers will provide an Extended Support service for these outdated versions. As part of this service, if any new significant security vulnerabilities are discovered in these versions, our developers will release patches that will keep your websites safe.

For this Extended Support service, from 22nd April 2021 you will be charged £5.28 (£6.34 inc. VAT) per month for each PHP version 5.6 and above you are using, and £6.28 (£7.54 inc. VAT) per month for each PHP version 5.4 and below you are using. To avoid this charge, we recommend you upgrade to a newer version of PHP (at least 7.4). "

So you need to know if you have any sites using PHP. Can they be upgraded to v7.4? If so, do so as your supplier is not charging for its coverage, only lower versions.
    Have you installed any PHP programs?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    So you need to know if you have any sites using PHP. Can they be upgraded to v7.4? If so, do so as your supplier is not charging for its coverage, only lower versions.
    Have you installed any PHP programs? Acorn
    Thanks for your reply.

The two websites to which they are referring did have PHP, but the version appears to now be out of date.
    They were created using WebPlus.
    I am in the process of converting them both to Xara, but was unaware that there was potentially an issue with PHP when constructing websites using Xara. Nor that Xara did not support PHP.
    Since then I read Robert Turners article 'Can I insert PHP into Xara' - which frankly I didn't understand. (insert what code. You go into far more detail etc)
    Fasthosts have generously allowed me an extra month to incorporate PHP into the websites, but I have been tied up with another project until now.
    So I am left grappling with a problem that I didn't know existed when I bought Xara.

I think it will be the case that unless you have specifically written PHP code to interoperate with your Xara design, there is no dependency on PHP.

I am with IONOS and for each of my hosted domains, I can set the PHP level (all are currently set to PHP 7.4), However, it has no bearing on my Xara websites (they don't have PHP modules / code).

A guess would be Fasthosts phpMyAdmin offers you the same domain-by-domain PHP levels. The implication for a pure Xara website is you can set these to the highest level offered. If you do have PHP code, the issue is the same regardless of Xara.

Without knowing the specific websites, I cannot tell whether you have a workaround for any WebPlus specifics.

Gary

Thanks Gary
    The website link is: http://www.myfamilymatters.org.uk/index.html#homepage
    It was created using WebPlus4
    I am reluctant to pay a yearly fee of approximately £72 for PHP protection provided by Fasthosts

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    Thanks Gary
    The website link is: http://www.myfamilymatters.org.uk/index.html#homepage
    It was created using WebPlus4
    I am reluctant to pay a yearly fee of approximately £72 for PHP protection provided by Fasthosts
    You are completely misunderstanding the communication.

They will only charge you if you remain with the outdated version of PHP currently enabled on your webhost. If you change the version of PHP to the current version ( using your hosting panel) then there will be no charge.

You do not need to use PHP on your Xara sites. No need to use a .php extension. No need to use PHP in a placeholder. No need to pay more if you go to your hosting panel and change the PHP version that is enabled.

Most often people use PHP as a web responder for contact forms.

You were never being bullied, you were simply being warned about the costs of using an out-of-service (obsolete) version of PHP and the costs of not upgrading.

OK you have 45 pages in this site: http://www.myfamilymatters.org.uk/index.html#homepage - home plus 44 pages of text and pictures. I would have thought it is a simply a case of going to your Fasthosts phpMyAdmin and upgrading FOC to the latest version for each domain. I'd try this first.