Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF/X-4 weirdness

When I exported to PDF and was reviewing the pages in a book I am producing, after about 14 pages some 1/8" red lines began to appear on the bottom of the pages in Acrobat as I was paging through.

There were no red lines or any lines but there were red guidelines.

I made the guidelines layer invisible and exported again and the red lines disappeared.

Why me.

Default Re: PDF/X-4 weirdness

Just for the hell of it Gary, change the Guidelines' colour to purple and make visible and try again.
    If it still happens then some coding clearly needs to be fixed.

"Why me"? Well, Gary, you bought a Xara product so really it should be - Why us still?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, why us still.

Many odd things occurred in the production of the book, 164 pages. Text blocks moved from one page to the next, for a while working in spread, which I have to do because the header is different for left and right pages. At one point a block of text went missing. Fortunately, a previous backup was correct. Weird stuff like that. I did the entire book in one document.

Next book will be my short stories. And I will do this one a chapter at a time and combine the PDFs in Acrobat.

Why use 4. why not pdf 1

I think I had problems with X-1 on one book. I have had better luck with X-4.

Hi Garry,

PDF-X1 2013 is recommended for professional Ofset printing. PDF-X1 only allows CMYK color space, calculates transparencies and effects flat,
    and does not allow layers and elements that do not belong in a printable PDF.

PDF-X4 is basically an AI file in which all elements, transparencies, effects and colors are preserved. This also includes layers such as help lines.
    If you do not know exactly what the PDF-X4 should serve then such errors happen.

Adobe recommends sending the PDF-X4 only to printers that are also equipped with the Adobe Print Engine for the respective PDF-X4 version.
    A normal RIP cannot interpret PDF-X4 correctly.

It is always best to ask the print service provider for the PDF version, which they can also process.

I only use PDF-X4 output from Xara to exchange data between Adobe Suit, CorelDraw, Inkscape, Affinty and others.

That's good info Ernie. I did not know that.

But there was one book I was working on using X1 that the font's did not embed and the online proof showed all the wrong characters. It was a nightmare.

I am printing through Amazon's KDP which prints differently than normal offset printing.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    That's good info Ernie. I did not know that.

But there was one book I was working on using X1 that the font's did not embed and the online proof showed all the wrong characters. It was a nightmare.

I am printing through Amazon's KDP which prints differently than normal offset printing.
    I know this problems with the fonts.

Allways embed all fonts, the hole font not only a subset.
    The problems with unknown fonts where on old Harlequin-RIPs. But this is novadays no more a problem.

If You printing with Amazon ask for a proof. Better to pay a small fee for a proof than throw the money away for a new edition.

If You printing with Amazon ask for a proof.
    We always do this. I don't think they even charge for proof copies.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    We always do this. I don't think they even charge for proof copies.
    O.K. then You're on the right side.

Happy Easter to You and all Xaraistas.

Ernie