Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Update from 17 to 18 activations exceeded

I keep getting a nag screen urging me to update from v17 to v18. I downloaded and installed 18 while still keeping my v17. However, when I try to start V18 I get a message that I have exceeded the allowed activations. I have this v17 only on one laptop and one desktop so why cant I update without having to deactivate. I then upgraded the v17 on the laptop and v18 activated but when I tried once more on the desktop I got the same activations exceeded message. I am reluctant to deactivate v17 from my desktop in case the upgrade gives problems.

Default Re: Update from 17 to 18 activations exceeded

I get that nag screen too I am reluctant to check the do not show again even though I do not intend to purchase v18 at least not yet however your problem sounds a bit different,
    Good Luck, submit a ticket to MAGIX or whoever is supplying the software.
    Last edited by Acorn; 26 April 2021 at 07:55 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I downloaded and installed 18 while still keeping my v17.
    did you buy version 18 seperately, or is it a free upgrade from version 17 as part of the update service? - if it is the latter you may not be able to have both versions at the same time
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Phil, you have a single licence aerial for both v17 and v18. That serial covers two installs...

...one of each or two of any.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

there you go...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Actually you are suppose to be allowed to run both V17 and V18 on the same machine under the same license. It is stated in the upgrade info on Magic's site.

I have one computer that allows it and one computer that will not allow. The one that allows it, I can go all the way back to V12 with no problems. The one that does not allow it only has V17 and V18 on it. Why it works this way I do not know.

Ray

The XARA DESIGNER PRO X END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ("EULA") in your install directory states:
    You will be issued with a unique serial number. An internet connection is required to activate the serial number and to complete the necessary one-time registration. The Software can only be activated on two computers concurrently, but activations that are no longer required can be cancelled so that you can install and activate the software on a new computer.
    It is therefore not impossible that MagiXara allow the same serial to be applied to different version. I have found it to be one of sequencing whether you are lucky to retain one or more active versions. It is usually on my laptop that it complains as it is always updated last.

I imagine what MagiXara cannot readily handle is a major update to a new version number while the old version is still installed. My current registered products only show v18 on one machine but I still have v17 on it as well. A second device shows I have v17, but if I try to install v18, my licensed products show as two used and will not allow v18 to be loaded as well.

One serial, two installs. If you are fortunate or astute, you can squeeze in the third.

@Ray, grateful for the Magix link. The Magix "professional" EULA (https://www.magix.com/gb/eula/professional/) is totally different.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Phill

Go into your account on Magix.com, My Products and look at the activations for each version. If you have two activations, deactivate one or both, then go back to Xara 17 or 18 (the one that was deactivated) and activate. What usually happens is that a user changes something about the computer, like some hardware, Windows, computer name, and Magix counts the change as an activation, or something else is happening.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    @Phill

Go into your account on Magix.com, My Products and look at the activations for each version. If you have two activations, deactivate one or both, then go back to Xara 17 or 18 (the one that was deactivated) and activate. What usually happens is that a user changes something about the computer, like some hardware, Windows, computer name, and Magix counts the change as an activation, or something else is happening.
    I am confused as I now understand that I am now allowed either 2 versions on one computer or one on each. If that is so, then that is a newer policy as in the past I always had the then current version on both desktop and laptop along with the previous versions on both. The most recent paid version is 17 which I had on each pc and was purchased Jan 2021 but I updated to v18 in March. Looks like I will have to deactivate v17 from both pc's in order to have a working version on both! Not happy with that as in the past I have had file problems in using a different version to what the file was created in.

again i ask - did you pay for the ver 18, or was it part of the ver 17 update service - in the past you always paid for each update, so you could install them independantly

a version that you get as part of the update service does not give you additional licences [you have nor bought any] so you are limited to just two installs...
    Nothing lasts forever...