Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many cores

Default How many cores

How many cores does xara uses? Also it claims that it uses multiprocessing which I do not believe it does.

Clarify me on this Xara.

Default Re: How many cores

You can investigte this yourself Behzad, but I doubt Xara will ever really need to break into a sweat re this.

https://www.google.com/search?client...HB8gLrmKDIDQ16
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Moved to the Dear Xara forum.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Egg. From my analysis, processing a complex 40 page website, it seems only one core is being fully utilized. So the answer is no, it does not use multi cores. Also Upgrading to SSD and memory did not improve overall performance with Xara either. I believe all the heavy work is done only with the central processor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard-1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	129279  

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Thanks Egg. From my analysis, processing a complex 40 page website, it seems only one core is being fully utilized. So the answer is no, it does not use multi cores. Also Upgrading to SSD and memory did not improve overall performance with Xara either. I believe all the heavy work is done only with the central processor.
    sorry Behzad you cannot draw that conclusion

multicore capability is simply that... and the capability is managed by the operating system; xara designer cannot just stamp it's foot and insist on using resources, even if nothing else is, if windows is not inclined to release them

and how windows organises resources is as much a function of your setup as it is absolute

there are ways to tweak this, but that is very geekish, and may not be worth the effort, and will in any case not be a one-set-of-tweaks-fits-all senario

I ran a test and here is a screen shot of the resources manager [split so it is readable under TG size limit]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resm sshot pro+.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	129282

ignore 'not reponding' that just means the program itself is too busy to be accessed in itself - you can see 6 cores are being used and the average usage is 4.4

the operation was a 10 pass photographic trace of an image 4128 by 3098 pixels which took about 5mins - back in the day it would have taken forever or just failed

core usage remained at 6, but the average usage maxed out at 6.24

I have an amd processor with 8 physical cores [16 virtual]

it is also worth bearing in mind that what is a complex operation to the computer may not equate to what a human thinks is complex

here is a [smaller] version of the photograph:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beatrice.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	129283

beatrice the bee has, this last week, been nosing a lot around our back conservatory and had got 'buried' in a pile of plasic bags [recycling for the use of] - maybe looking for a new nesting place; she was buzzing like crazy for ages so eventually I fished her out and she stayed on my hand resting long enough for me to get some single-handed photos

note for those thinking of doing this at home: be very careful - whilst [european] bumble bees are usually safe to cup in your hand if you need to move them, take care not to exert any pressure, they can sting, and they retract the sting so they can do it again like wasps, though fortunately no where near as short of fuse
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nice. Thanks. Also your a brave soul for letting a bee near you.

the one thing you should not do, is try to bat them with your hand and that includes wasps, just gets them agitated
    Nothing lasts forever...

A few wasps dug a few circle (perfect circles) into the wood on our house Plaque made of wood. I waited until fall when they left and filled the holes with wood filler. I hope they do not come back. I was scared of them everytime I had to go out of the house.

oops it turns out I was misinterpreting the figures -6 does not mean 6 cores - it means 6 is the % of current CPU consumption which is something different, sorry; which means that it does not need very much core usage at all, which given a modern hi-spec computer is fair enough; windows is 'paging' the CPU usage just as it does with memory - maybe a better way of looking at it is that just like on a 32bit OS where any memory above a certain level cannot be accessed [2.5/3GB], a program has to be multi-core processor compatible to enable it to access this 'CPU paging'; it does not mean it uses more than one core as such, just that it can be swapped in and out of cores rather than having to wait

I just would not worry about it

one thing for sure , its a whole load faster than it used to be, but the computer is better too of course

you have nasty wasps in north america and we are not just talking about white anglo saxon...whatevers
    Nothing lasts forever...