Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Info Documenting your Work

I have tried various methods in the past, including a Notes layer in the design.

Here is something seemingly bullet-proof.

Somewhere accessible on your local device, save a file called log with a txt extension (log.txt) or as I do log.xara.
    If your default text editor is Notepad, use log.txt.
    If in my case it is Notepad++, use log.xara and associate Notepad to .xara files (not XAR, do note).
    Open your log file and add .LOG and save and close it.

This is a Notepad feature that admins have always used to record the date and time every re-opening of the file. Notepad++ does not have it.
    I use this when I am working on the clock.

Otherwise, omit the .LOG or, as I do, create log.md, for posher Markdown-formatted documenting.

Back to Xara.

Off the design page, create a line of text, labelled LOG and in Web Properties > > Link > Link to file > Browse to your log.txt/md/xara file > OK.
    Save your design file. What you now get is <design file>.xar and a new folder <design file>_xara_files. In the folder is your log file.

When working, select LOG and in the pop-up click on Link to file: log.txt/md/xara
    The text editor kicks in.
    Add your update and Save and Close.

When you Export or Publish, the log.txt/md/xara file is put in the index_htm_files folder.
    log.txt is viewable through URL/index_htm_files/log.txt.
    Other extensions are downloadable: URL/index_htm_files/log.md & URL/index_htm_files/log.xara.

If you don't want the log to be published, rename the <design file>_xara_files folder or move the <design file>.
    You could put the above LOG link(s) on the design page and when rendered, they will show or download as above.

tl;dr:
    All you are doing is linking to an empty file (or with .LOG) in it and Xara does the rest.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 26 March 2021 at 07:31 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Documenting your Work

Okay Acorn, lost already.

Somewhere accessible on your local device, save a file called log with a txt extension (log.txt) or as I do log.xara.
    If your default text editor is Notepad, use log.txt.
    If in my case it is Notepad++, use log.xara and associate Notepad to .xara files (not XAR, do note).
    In Notepad++ if I try to save as 'log.xara' it saves as 'log.xara.txt' Is this what you mean?

Further:
    Is that associate Notepad to .xara files OR associate Notepad++ to .xara files?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

wow

I think my needs be simple...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    In Notepad++ if I try to save as 'log.xara' it saves as 'log.xara.txt' Is this what you mean?
    As in most progemas, File > Save As > All types (*.*) allows you to save a NotePad++ file as log.xara, where xara is an extension I made up and should have no associations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Is that associate Notepad to .xara files OR associate Notepad++ to .xara files?
    Associate .xara files to Notepad if you want to use .LOG in the first line. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-d5ae203c4e12).

Notepad++ does not include this feature, only Notepad.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    wow
    I think my needs be simple...
    Working with web design requires a lot of discovery and friction with a client, good or bad. To be professional, document everything.

Problems arise when you have a host of emails and other documents then recording as you go along is vital.
    A recent good client wanted a multi-language, variant site and well-rated SEO using meta descriptions, keywords, alt text and hover text.
    I created a clutch of Markdown files but keeping track of all texts become quite complex: Xara doesn't have search into meta-texts like the above and opening a file to recheck changes were in place is not a happy workflow.

Acorn

I create a virtual yellow post it and place it off the page and add my notes to self.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I create a virtual yellow post it and place it off the page and add my notes to self.
    Gary, used that but it adds to the design file size. Also if you have many pages and variants do you have a Post-it a page, as collation becomes harder.

I just set the LOG text to be a Repeating Object - self-collation.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Working with web design requires.....
    boy am I glad I don't then....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Acorn, that's a clever idea - a bit beyond me but I can appreciate the principal.

As I don't often do paid digital work (and don't do websites) my problem is not keeping track of editing time and version control, but just remembering how I did something in the first place.

To that end, I've been experimenting using SimpleMind (mind mapping app which I use to hold my life together!) to keep a basic step-by-step record things. I'm not sure if this is overkill - time will tell, but I do like the idea of having a collection of these to refer back to in years to come.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Workflow.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	129269

The alternative is a basic text file or like GP said a 'post-it note' on the pasteboard.

Name:	text-version.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	129270

If you are really economical the Document information Comment field can hold 256 characters of text.

Name:	comment-field.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	129271
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    Acorn, that's a clever idea - a bit beyond me but I can appreciate the principal.

As I don't often do paid digital work (and don't do websites) my problem is not keeping track of editing time and version control, but just remembering how I did something in the first place.

To that end, I've been experimenting using SimpleMind (mind mapping app which I use to hold my life together!) to keep a basic step-by-step record things. I'm not sure if this is overkill - time will tell, but I do like the idea of having a collection of these to refer back to in years to come.

Name:	Workflow.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	129269

The alternative is a basic text file or like GP said a 'post-it note' on the pasteboard.

Name:	text-version.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	129270

If you are really economical the Document information Comment field can hold 256 characters of text.

Name:	comment-field.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	129271
    Jono, all worthy approaches that I have used in the past. I still use the Notepad approach but include Markdown to format, include graphics and link to assets all the more readily.
    I have MindManager but as you say it is a large hammer to crack a small nut (no acorns though). I would recommend FreeMind (free and uses Java) as it has HTML outputs.
    I have also used Gliffy (on-line Visio).

The point with the LOG file is it is not intrusive, adaptable to structured data, versioning, random jottings & a quick dumping ground, only a click away, coupled with the design without any further action and highly searchable.

Acorn