Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Lightbulb Re: version 18 is too slow compared to version 17, not usable for me

Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post
    As far a s i´know the last good software from Magix was MusicMaker, about 20 years ago.
    Any chance to switch frome Magix back to Xara, without buying again?
    rs3, the only downside, some believe, is it would be a switch from a bad subscription model to another one.

Through Magix, you get to keep your licensed products. After expiry of the Update Service, this is still true but you lose all on-line assets and the limited Magix support there is.
    Before any switch to Xara, you must Download All (right-click on the) Blue folders in the Local Designs Gallery. This puts GBs of templates into your local cache so the loss of on-line is not really then a problem.

You next decision is whether you actually need to upgrade your XDA each and every year.
    If you do you get a new licence for the version on the date you register it.
    Any updates in the year you must treat as vapourware as there is no guarantee that a change to the OS, device or a an XDA re-install will allow the updated components, application or assets, to be retained.
    At some point, you will revert to that registered version.

You decide to take a punt with Xara Cloud+/Xara Pro+. This is effectively a drop-in replacement for XDPX. Most Magix features like EXIF and the Xara Slideshow are gone. You still have a Magix installed version for these although you cannot update the Slideshow; there are far better solutions available for free elsewhere.
    Again, there are no XWd or WDP or XP&GD sub-versions available. You get the Xara powerhouse that covers all of them. At a cost.

The cost is, if the use the LIFETIME coupon, almost identical to the cost of an Magix XDPX renewal.

It is a subscription. At the end of the year, you can buy back into Magix with a renewal of the Update Service or re-subscribe with Xara.
    At the end of the subscription, you do not have Cloud+ or XPro+ access. You can use a limited, free Cloud account and you can use an old Magix version or renew with Magix.
    Regression may be slightly worse as Xara delivers more updates and more frequently so even if you buy back into Magix, there may be a lag until all the vital features/gizmos (very few to be honest) reappear.

While the LIFETIME offer is open, I truly see no benefit in staying with Magix.

If you Magix renew faithfully, it is as cheap to switch.
    If you don't renew frequently, switch for a year and revert to your old Magix version until you feel the urge to upgrade.

Finally, email Xara and ask for a negotiation against your remaining Update Service.

My XDPXv18 runs out in June, yet I have no desire to renew and will stick with my Pro+ until I no longer need it for work.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: version 18 is too slow compared to version 17, not usable for me

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    rs3, the only downside, some belie
    If you

While the LIFETIME offer is open, I truly see no benefit in staying with Magix.

Acorn
    Where do i find the "LIFETIME offer" ?

or when what why ... is this?

regard
    reinhard
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post
    Where do i find the "LIFETIME offer" ?

or when what why ... is this?

regard
    reinhard
    Reinhard, when you place your order, there should be a discount box. Type in LIFETIME and you get a 50% discount for as long as you subscribe.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-04-29 09_06_03-Window.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	129521

this is not funny.
    i think i have to buy the Xara pro+ version.
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I swear I bashed my gums over this with Xara (& Cloud) back in July last year.
    I was no willing to upload a 56MB files during the middle of a frustrating development period.

My workaround was to delete all Repeating Group while working on the design and re-apply prior to a re-issue.
    My second workaround was to fall back to XWDPv15.0 as my client had that and reported fewer timing problems.

Basically, the selection of any shape would freeze the application for 15+ seconds.
    The MS Windows Ring of Ouroboros would spin for 15+ seconds; the Web Properties > Link > Link to box would vanish; the monitor screen would go black; the application would jump behind other open windows.
    Each and every click.

I have cut out all the large images and the file size is now 3MB. The document has 107 web pages and one Variant.
    In Xara Pro+ (Xara Designer Pro+ 21.0.0.61527 SL x64 Mar 9 2021), the same is still occurring. [Pro+ is referred to as Xara Designer Pro+ 18 18.0.0.61527 in File > Document History > History tab]

UPDATE: I tried a PM with Attachment but lost it - I will email your directly.

UPDATED UPDATE: I have just created a test file that all can play with: Attachment 129251
    The delay in this simply Conventional Website is around 3 seconds a click, a move, a jump. same applied - 3 seconds - for a single letter change in the text!
    Open the Web Properties dialog and watch the Link Tab and the Link to Box.

Consider the frustration when this telescopes out to 15+ seconds.

Acorn

Hello, I just upgraded to the latest Xara Designer Pro X and I am having the same problem. The selection of any shape freezes the application for 15+ seconds. The application is SO SLUGGISH that I am unable to effectively get my work done. What happened? It is currently late September 2021... is there any fix or update for this???

see here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...548#post641548

rsrsrs/acorn's test files are ok for me in version 18.5
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by msheesha View Post
    Hello, I just upgraded to the latest Xara Designer Pro X and I am having the same problem. The selection of any shape freezes the application for 15+ seconds. The application is SO SLUGGISH that I am unable to effectively get my work done. What happened? It is currently late September 2021... is there any fix or update for this???
    msheesha, I am not having any problems with Xara Pro+v20.5. XDPXv18.5 is at an almost identical build.

I suggest you try my test file above and next Run as administrator the once and then check against my test file.
    That might clear things up for you.

Acorn

Hello Acorn,

Thank you for responding to my post. I tried your test file and it was not sluggish. I am wondering why I am encountering such extreme sluggishness. Since upgrading to 18.5, I started working on only one new website project. The template I am working with I downloaded directly from the XARA Content Catalog. It is the one-page website template called "Porfolio". Could that be the reason for such slowness? Does anyone else have this experience with that template or any other XARA website templates in general? Just trying to solve this problem

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by msheesha View Post
    Hello Acorn,
    Thank you for responding to my post. I tried your test file and it was not sluggish. I am wondering why I am encountering such extreme sluggishness. Since upgrading to 18.5, I started working on only one new website project. The template I am working with I downloaded directly from the XARA Content Catalog. It is the one-page website template called "Porfolio". Could that be the reason for such slowness? Does anyone else have this experience with that template or any other XARA website templates in general? Just trying to solve this problem Thank you!
    msheesha, I have download and edited Portfolio in XPro+v21.5 with no delays or issues.

Sorry, it is a negative.

Acorn

Hi Acorn!

Thank you SO much for your amazingly fast response time to my post! I really appreciate that! I don't know what happened but, after loading and exiting your test file, somehow XARA is no longer sluggish. I also deleted and then undeleted 75% of the website. Don't know what fixed it but it's miraculously back to normal after days of impossibly sluggish behavior. Phew! Thanks again!