Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Pro+ - Registered Smartshapes

Dear Xara Cloud+/Pro+

Just noticed an entry under the QuickShape Tool > Insert button.
    Ignoring the 2 Serious Errors, we seem to have a new option - Registered SmartShapes.

Apart from the obvious, can you explain what we can do with the 160+ SmartShapes other than avoid having to open the OCC instead?

SLWG? & SmartBarChartCrash? are two of my favourites.

Acorn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-24 23.18.39.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	129230

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-24 23.35.54.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	129231
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Pro+ - Registered Smartshapes

Maybe because they are registered we cannot see them unless we have the proper clearance.

Just tried this and got the same two error messages.

as far as I can see the registered smart shapes can be accessed offline, whereas the OCC cannot

the two smart shapes that generate the error message[s] are just not working - maybe they are not registered for some reason
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Look, I was being kind. It is another Xara developer tool that has been left there by accident.
    It shows a number of things (to me) that the Xara code is complex and its people get pressured or complacent.

The fabled SmartShape API is never going to happen.
    Instead, Xara should offer a competition for the best new Xara SmartShape design that it then builds in.

It is interesting he prominence that SmartShapes have achieved in Xara's mindset.
    160+ of them but when the OCC expired, a customer loses most of the Component access (unless used prior).

It is nice to know as I have always stated that all the SmartTables were just a variation on Table 09, c.f., SmartTableDev.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Apologies, yes that was accidentally included in the Pro+ release. we'll remove it in a patch shortly. It's a menu used in internal builds to load SmartShapes that are in development for testing. All the working shapes are available through the CC and insert menus, so there's nothing extra there that's useful.

Thank you for letting us know.

Rob

It is interesting he prominence that SmartShapes have achieved in Xara's mindset.
    160+ of them but when the OCC expired, a customer loses most of the Component access (unless used prior)
    yes, well that is because that is the way xara is basing it's future product, or it has nowhere else to go, or maybe both;

the Xara code is complex
    we know this

its people get pressured or complacent
    or deadlines and getting out a release becomes more imortant than tying up all the loose ends - they are not alone in this, although microsoft, for example, are better with windows 10 than they used to be with earlier versions [so far]

it all comes down to the cash-flow treadmill at the end of the day I would think

Look, I was being kind. It is another Xara developer tool that has been left there by accident
    if so that is a pity - offline access would be a definate plus on the do-I-renew ledger for me....
    Nothing lasts forever...

cross posted with Rob... pity but no surprise
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if so that is a pity - offline access would be a definate plus on the do-I-renew ledger for me....
    You still have off-line access through the download All of the blue folders in the Local Designs gallery.

What I found interesting was the number of derivations and directions things were going.

Acorn

yes of course, just being lazy really
    Nothing lasts forever...

Smile Re: Pro+ - Registered Smartshapes

@Xara, in removing the Registered SmartShape entries access, could you actually deliver SmartStraightArbritraryShape?
    It is a simple utility that works as a 2-point straight line and a 3-point triangle.

It is fun making it go wrong with a Art Line and a Contour.

Name:	Albion.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	129235

If anyone wants to access the Registered SmartShapes, Customise key shortcuts and associate Shift+Ctrl+, to the Registered SmartShapes... entry.
    This works as far back as XDPX v15, which has a far nicer interface, by the way.

Acorn