Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text placeholder differs in ver 17.1.0.60742

In prior versions, when entering text I could just right click and outline a text box which resulted in text automatically flowing to next line. Now it keeps going to the right in one long line. I now have to hit enter where I want to drop to next line or go back and put cursor in, then hit enter. This seems like a step backward in ease of use. OK, so I musty be missing something here, but what could it be?

Default Re: Text placeholder differs in ver 17.1.0.60742

I think you're creating a text line as opposed to a text area.

Left click and hold to draw a box roughly the size you want and see if that solves your problem. You can then manipulate the size of the area using the resizing handles.

Default Re: Text placeholder differs in ver 17.1.0.60742

Xara provides a Text Line, a Text Column and a Text Area.

A Text Line is a click and type and as you have found is like an infinite typewriter - you have to force a newline.
    A Text Column is like knitting a sleeve - the more you type the longer it gets.
    A Text Area is like a Text Column but has a bounding box that allows for magic like creating Stretch Buttons and Shapes, Columns and overflow to other Text Areas.

The issue is you can change a Column to an Area and the reverse.
    With a Text Line you have to Cut and Paste into a new Text object.

Never click and type (Text Line): click and drag horizontally (Text Column) or skewed (Text Area).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat