Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stretching an image

I'm trying to simply "stretch" an image, a jpeg or other image, increase it's size either vertically or horizontally WITHOUT changing the size on the other dimension. I understand to do this I have to hold alt and stretch but that doesn't work. I used to do this ALL the time but with a recent update, it's no longer possible. I have to do this ALL THE TIME and I don't understand why it's so difficult. How do I make this happen?Xara Stretch Problam.xar

Default Re: Stretching an image

Everybody else seems to suggest turning all sorts of things off, but I simply hold the ALT key whilst dragging. There must be several reasons why I'm wrong, and I'll be the first to say I don't need to do this on a regular basis, but what can I say? It works for me and it's simple.

The boundary/frame in your example is part of the image; it will stretch/ distort as part of the image. Crop the boundary from the image and apply a line colour (width to match).

You can now apply the standard Alt +drag handle and the boundary/ frame remains proportionally the same whatever stretch you apply. Works v17.0.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No Distort Boundary.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	129095

Gary

in selector tool, if you right click on the lock aspect ratio padlock and untick 'smart transform' it should go back to what yoou are used to [mostly]

holding the alt key down as chris mentioned will make it behave 'the other way' up to a point
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

There are quite a few things that are discussed here on TG that never really sink in for me. The squishy squashy is one of them. Using a bleach transparency to colour things that won't accept a fill is another.

Xara is capable of doing things that I'll never use enough to fully grasp...or forget 2 sleeps after a moment of clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    in selector tool, if you right click on the lock aspect ratio padlock and untick 'smart transform' it should go back to what yoou are used to [mostly]

holding the alt key down as chris mentioned will make it behave 'the other way' up to a point
    To add to this also uptick smart transform.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Xara help says to hold the Alt key but holding or pressing it using left or right click and dragging doesn't work for me. Perhaps I don't understand cropping the border, but when I tried this it also didn't help. I unselected the smart transform option under the padlock and that doesn't work either. I really don't understand why this change was made, but it's very frustrating for me. I need to fit a jpeg into a particular space very often and stretching it along one dimension is the easiest way for me to do this. The images are abstract stuff so changing the aspect ratios isn't a problem but I'd like to retain the entire image anyway. There must be a way to accomplish this. Any other ideas?

in selector tool make sure the [far left] button 'show selection bounds handle' is on

also just in case, make sure you do not have 'show fill edit handles' button enabled
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The image has a black border which is integral to the image; therefore any disproportionate stretch will change that border:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stretch.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	129105

The fact that it has a black border means you need to remove it to make any sense of disproportionally stretching that image.

I have attached a XAR which may help. The on/off smart handles can be counter-intuitive at first, but to achieve what you are looking to do generally, then they and lock, need to be off.

Hopefully, this works?

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks, but even with the “show selection bounds handle” on and the “show fill edit handles” button not enabled and the “smart Transform” option not selected, I still can’t get the image to stretch properly. I wonder if there isn’t something wrong with my software, although I have downloaded the program recently to replace one I lost in a computer crash and I get the same result. I have Xara on two computers and I get the same result on both.

I understand that the black border (either a black rectangle under the other image or a line around it, I forget which) will expand proportionally, that’s not a problem for me. Besides, I’ve tried to stretch the image both with the black and without. Just to be clear, the problem isn't just with this particular image, I can't get the stretch I'm looking for with any jpeg image. Vector images I've created will stretch "properly." I attached this image merely as an example.

When you guys try stretching my image in the .xar file I attached, do you get the same result I get? Or, does the image stretch in just the desired direction?