Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Last Art Brush should not be the defalut line

I've been experimenting with art brushes and they are pretty cool.

But if I switch to the Shape Tool, the new line defaults to the last Art Brush created. And at the default point size of .5pt or 1pt it is often hard to tell your line is an art brush stroke.

Plus it is devilishly hard to get the default line back to a solid line.

I would not be unhappy if this were fixed.

Default Re: Last Art Brush should not be the defalut line

I have the same sentiment. Very annoying.

assuming your are working with gnomra [give objects most recent attributes] set, which is the options/general default

then before switching to shape tool make a temp line - then in line gallery click on document brushes / default line and apply button - delete line

or you could just do this for the first actual line you want to draw with shape tool, so you don't need to delete

I don't think there is a quicker way

if you do not have gnomra set then deselect everything and click on the document brushes / default line and apply button

[if you get a confirmation request click set]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I never use last attribute to current object. One my most loathed features.

The intent should be that the Freehand Tool use to create and apply art brush should default to the art brush. But the Shape Tool which is used for creating and editing shapes, should default to a solid line.

I was trying to hand trace a shape that had an art brush applied to a .5pt line. Well of course I could not see the art brush had been applied but I could not understand why this geometric shape with no curves was giving me such a hard time snapping points to the edges.

the Shape Tool which is used for creating and editing shapes, should default to a solid line
    it does... but you changed it in the other tool

the program only has only one line attribute for what you might call 'texture'

both freehand tool and shape tool have solid line as default, but if you change the default in one tool, it persists until you change it again, regardless of tool

it was always that way, even before art brushes

but in the past I often used a textured line when drawing with the shape tool, and I am sure I was not alone in this; so on that basis I would not want it reset automatically in the way that you suggest

the real issue for me is that the line width does not persist, if it did you would see the texture straight away; in that sense it is not consistent
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...