Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How do I email a Xara presentation/website

Asking users to install a website on their computer in order to view a presentation, must be one of the clumsiest ways to disseminate information.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Asking users to install a website on their computer in order to view a presentation, must be one of the clumsiest ways to disseminate information.
    Assume you only have email and no access to the internet. Assume you cannot install applications like PowerPoint. A browser solution may be all can use. Not clumsy, a lifesaver.

You can run a Xara presentation from a memory stick or CD.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Martin - Maybe you can clarify what you are trying to accomplish here. We have many suggestions but need more input from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Assume you only have email and no access to the internet. Assume you cannot install applications like PowerPoint. A browser solution may be all can use. Not clumsy, a lifesaver.

You can run a Xara presentation from a memory stick or CD.

Acorn
    Email but no internet.. ..right.

Dropbox but no internet.. ..right

Everyone is going to be happy to install a website so they can see the presentation.. ..right. How do I see this on my iPad again? How does this work on my phone again?

This is a VERY poor way to distribute a presentation.

Better as a PDF if you want to rule out a web connection.

If you have a web connection then a web presentation is fine.

Unless I'm missing something you don't install a website you simply open the index.htm.
    If it were a presentation, you would open it.
    If it were a PDF, you would open it.
    If it were a website, you would open it.
    No installation.

There's also the presumption that the site will be viewed at the same location it was downloaded. Maybe they need a portable solution to be used in premises with no Internet connection.
    Using a portable site isn't clumsy at all.

I can quite easily transfer an email from my galaxy phone or tab to my computer if the latter is not connected to the internet; - mind you I could tether the computer and phone so that the computer uses the mobile to connect to the internet, although there would be a cost if it went over bandwidth
    Last edited by handrawn; 02 March 2021 at 09:34 PM. Reason: who put that a there
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Unless I'm missing something you don't install a website you simply open the index.htm.
    If you send the website via email it will be a zip file or a collection of file attachments that you will have to copy somewhere or leave in a downloads folder. Then you have to locate the index file and click on it.

That's my point, it's not click and go.

Using a portable site isn't clumsy at all.
    We can agree to disagree.

BTW has anyone actually exported a Xara website and tried to run it with the network connection disconnected?

By way of an example here is a supersite/ presentation (attached); it could be on laptop or USB stick, or it could have been emailed in advance (depending on size).

In this case, yes, you have to download the files from TG, but if you were the author giving a presentation, it would be have been exported to your local device, and a USB stick could be distributed to a member of your audience.

No different between this and PowerPoint - in fact this presentation template was created from a Microsoft PowerPoint example: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Presentation/

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    By way of an example here is a supersite/ presentation (attached); it could be on laptop or USB stick, or it could have been emailed in advance (depending on size).

In this case, yes, you have to download the files from TG, but if you were the author giving a presentation, it would be have been exported to your local device, and a USB stick could be distributed to a member of your audience.

No different between this and PowerPoint - in fact this presentation template was created from a Microsoft PowerPoint example: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Presentation/

Gary
    With a powerpoint file I just click to run it. That's not the case for a zip file.

I would NEVER supply a presentation to a client in this manner, or any audience.

If I was presenting myself and chose to use a website as a presentation, then it would be an option, but I suspect that Xara requires a net connection to display properly.

Did you try it with the network disconnected?

Did you try it with the network disconnected?
    Yes and it works as expected. The only reason I provided a .zip was to upload it to TG. Drop the two sets of files into any local folder and its one-click on the .htm file.

Give it a go.