Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How do I email a Xara presentation/website

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Yes and it works as expected. The only reason I provided a .zip was to upload it to TG. Drop the two sets of files into any local folder and its one-click on the .htm file.

Give it a go.
    I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying it's a clumsy solution. Ever had an iPad owner discussing folders? Probably the same on Android devices. We should never assume out target audience has the technical ability that we do and if we have something to communicate we should make that so simple to access rather than suit our own convenience.

Anyway, we've flogged this to death, it's not my problem and the court of TG public opinion does not agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    BTW has anyone actually exported a Xara website and tried to run it with the network connection disconnected?
    My daughter used to submit her homework (English and Art) in exactly that manner for 4 years. One of her submissions had source links to various newspapers. The teacher contacted me and mentioned the links didn't work. She was looking at the site whilst travelling home on the train. They magically started working again when she arrived home.

Email but no internet.. ..right.

Dropbox but no internet.. ..right

Everyone is going to be happy to install a website so they can see the presentation.. ..right. How do I see this on my iPad again? How does this work on my phone again?

This is a VERY poor way to distribute a presentation.

Better as a PDF if you want to rule out a web connection.

If you have a web connection then a web presentation is fine.
    pauland you are missing the obvious. You are not installing a website, you are placing a number of files in a local filestore or running the same from media. I did not suggest I had Dropbox in my scenario.
    In the real world I have had to arrive at a lecture with no advance knowledge of the set-up. PowerPoint available was many versions behind by own one, no external devices were allowed, media was sanitised on arrival. A PDF wouldn't cut it.
    iPads and mobiles have browsers. "How do I see this on my iPad again? How does this work on my phone again?" equally apply to a PDF or PowerPoint file.

I used to "install a website" (integrate) into Enterprise SharePoint as the end-users did not want to break out into PowerPoint. The same client blocked all Internet access as well.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

BTW has anyone actually exported a Xara website and tried to run it with the network connection disconnected?
    That is the whole benefit of a static website with relative linking; it will run from anywhere.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    pauland you are missing the obvious. You are not installing a website, you are placing a number of files in a local filestore or running the same from media. I did not suggest I had Dropbox in my scenario.
    In the real world I have had to arrive at a lecture with no advance knowledge of the set-up. PowerPoint available was many versions behind by own one, no external devices were allowed, media was sanitised on arrival. A PDF wouldn't cut it.
    iPads and mobiles have browsers. "How do I see this on my iPad again? How does this work on my phone again?" equally apply to a PDF or PowerPoint file.

I used to "install a website" (integrate) into Enterprise SharePoint as the end-users did not want to break out into PowerPoint. The same client blocked all Internet access as well.

Acorn
    Well, imagine I sent that to my mother and her iPad and said "look at my presentation?".

It's not about how clever you are but making a message accessible to the recipient without requiring any technical knowledge.

We aren't going to agree and we can leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    That is the whole benefit of a static website with relative linking; it will run from anywhere.

Acorn
    It depends on what external libraries or fonts it may need to load (or not load).

We're also skipping a significant point that was mentioned early on. Riftvalley said he wanted to email to his friends and the contents were private. His intention isn't to scatter this to the general public. Having it easily available on different devices with users of varying degrees of technical know how is not the issue.

The poor guy just wanted to send an email with an attachment.

I think that is very relevant - I can see where Paul is coming from, but I don't think this a case where the info is being disseminated to the uninitiated; not to 'people in general'

Besides options are good; this is just another option
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...