I discovered, as no doubt many before me, that the ECWID ecommerce widget does not work for sites with more than one variant, because Xara stores the code for all variants on one web page and the ECWID integration code cannot be inserted into a page more than once.

I wondered if anyone had come up with a better way of using ECWID with Xara variants, than the method I had to use, which is less than perfect.

I should point out that the site I am creating only has two variants (Mobile and Main) and will be fairly static after implementation.

1: Create your website with both/all variants and save it as "Site1".
2: Delete the mobile variant and save the site with a different name "Site2". (Utilities Menu, Website Variants, Website variants, Select and Delete button)
3: Load the originally saved site "Site1"
4: Delete the Main variant and save the site with a different name "Site3".
5: Edit "Site2", containing the main variant by adding a shape. Add the following code on the index page to the web Properties, Placeholder, HTML Code (head)

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
if (screen.width <= 699) {
document.location = "/m/index.htm";
}
//-->
</script>

And save the site.

6: Publish Site2 (The Main variant) to your normal location on your webserver e.g. public_html.
7: Publish Site3 (The mobile variant) to a subfolder of the normal location on your webserver. e.g. public_html/m