Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ECWID ecommerce and Xara Web Designer - Advice wanted

I discovered, as no doubt many before me, that the ECWID ecommerce widget does not work for sites with more than one variant, because Xara stores the code for all variants on one web page and the ECWID integration code cannot be inserted into a page more than once.

I wondered if anyone had come up with a better way of using ECWID with Xara variants, than the method I had to use, which is less than perfect.

I should point out that the site I am creating only has two variants (Mobile and Main) and will be fairly static after implementation.

1: Create your website with both/all variants and save it as "Site1".
    2: Delete the mobile variant and save the site with a different name "Site2". (Utilities Menu, Website Variants, Website variants, Select and Delete button)
    3: Load the originally saved site "Site1"
    4: Delete the Main variant and save the site with a different name "Site3".
    5: Edit "Site2", containing the main variant by adding a shape. Add the following code on the index page to the web Properties, Placeholder, HTML Code (head)

<script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    if (screen.width <= 699) {
    document.location = "/m/index.htm";
    }
    //-->
    </script>

And save the site.

6: Publish Site2 (The Main variant) to your normal location on your webserver e.g. public_html.
    7: Publish Site3 (The mobile variant) to a subfolder of the normal location on your webserver. e.g. public_html/m

Default Re: ECWID ecommerce and Xara Web Designer - Advice wanted

Path, your method is what I have used to separate out Variants generally.
    My JavaScript was a little more targeted in that I parsed the current URL and altered the location for any page in the site, checking against the screen size on any change.

I took on work for a client where I am able to handle an ECWID presentation in Main and one Variant.
    Basically, it is a case of detecting a viewport size change and taking the entire ECWID code and relocating it.

I am sure they won't mind the publicity as their products are worth trying.
    The Mumbai Spice Club Shop page handles Main <--> Variant transitions seamlessly.

Xara hinted months ago of a possible change to adaptive websites.
    My method has a number of Xara functional dependencies so, while robust, I have to keep monitoring for such changes.

In the next month I will be deploying a website of mamy of my Xara codings as a mostly free resource. One will be that for handling ECWID but it will be behind a modest paywall simply because both Xara and ECWID have said for years it could not be done.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Path, your method is what I have used to separate out Variants generally.
    My JavaScript was a little more targeted in that I parsed the current URL and altered the location for any page in the site, checking against the screen size on any change.

I took on work for a client where I am able to handle an ECWID presentation in Main and one Variant.
    Basically, it is a case of detecting a viewport size change and taking the entire ECWID code and relocating it.

I am sure they won't mind the publicity as their products are worth trying.
    The Mumbai Spice Club Shop page handles Main <--> Variant transitions seamlessly.

Xara hinted months ago of a possible change to adaptive websites.
    My method has a number of Xara functional dependencies so, while robust, I have to keep monitoring for such changes.

In the next month I will be deploying a website of mamy of my Xara codings as a mostly free resource. One will be that for handling ECWID but it will be behind a modest paywall simply because both Xara and ECWID have said for years it could not be done.

Acorn
    Dear Acorn,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. ECWID is a useful and functional way to integrate Ecommerce into a site with some ease. Given that Xara have a widget for using ECWID one might expect that they would warn users in the text for the widget, or in a knowledge article, about the impossibility of implementing ECWID in a single site with multiple variants, and perhaps even more helpfully how you might get round the issue.

I have no complaints with Xara about their product which is very good, nor any expectation that it can do more than it can do. It would just be helpful if known limitations were identified, rather than everyone new finding them by trial and error and Googling.

In any event, your response is excellent and much appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Path

I have to tell you that ECWID e-commerce still isn't suitable for those websites. I had a project, and it was planned to become a new marketplace for gamers. The users could trade skins and many other things there. And, considering the website had many variants, including the mobile one and so forth, the ECWID didn't work. The most fantastic thing about this project was that the customer created his own skins and sold them on his platform! He even asked me to get proper Sales Management Dashboards to manage all the information about the sales and revenue.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 25 January 2022 at 12:35 PM.

Creighton - I have removed your link (you didn't read our FAQs did you?

Unless you participate in these forums you cannot post commercial links. Drive by postings do no count as participation.

Any questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Acorn
    It eascaped - https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...890#post644890.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Info Re: ECWID ecommerce and Xara Web Designer - Advice wanted

This thread is pretty old, but I found a work-around that has been a life-saver for me - and it's not very hard to implement as well. Ecwid is worth it! Instructions: Do not put the Ecwid code on the same page on both variants. Create a store page for each variant on separate pages. [One for Mobile and one for Desktop.] Make sure the links in the menu bar go to the corresponding store page for each variant. Fixed the problem in no time at all. I have also found that I have the same issues with using JotForm, and this solution works for this issue as well.

That's a creative solution. Thanks for sharing.

Marjorie,

I am having a mental block picturing what you said.

When you said don't put the code the same page on both the main and variant, are you meaning on the Main site you have say Sales Page 1 and on the Variant you have Sales Page2 and you delete the sales page 1 from the variant?

Ray

Info Re: ECWID ecommerce and Xara Web Designer - Advice wanted

Ok, so the cause of this issue is that the code doesn't work on the same page in both variants. So the solution is to not put them on the same page. Pretty simple concept. Create two separate store pages. One for desktop and one for mobile. Just make sure you point the navigation bar store links to the correct page in both as well. Sometimes over-thinking something, just makes it more complicated.