Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Crashing due to file name

Hi all,
    Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else comes across the problem in the future.
    Last weekend, I was attempting to export my project to HTML, including a substantial layer-based lightbox gallery, and WDP 17 continually crashed. I imagined that I had overtaxed the program, so I began to dissect the project. More than a day’s worth of investigating, and I finally identified the problem.
    When the batteries of my wireless keyboard get low, sometimes keystrokes will repeat. For example, if I hit the *b* key, it might enter “bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb” even though I tap it only for the normal millisecond. That is what had happened. Before I saw that the batteries were low and changed them, I had copy-pasted a file name into an image filename box, and it was repeated numerous times, creating a filename of perhaps a hundred or more characters. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it at the time. It was what was causing the program to crash. Super-long filenames are apparently a real problem, either for WDP or, more likely, for Windows.
    Keep that in mind if you have a similar experience.

Default Re: Crashing due to file name

Your keyboard has a stutter. :-)

I think Windows does have a maximum number of characters allowed in a file name.

it's around 255/260 characters long depending exactly how you define it, and that is for the path not just the filename

for anyone interested, in windows 10 you can enable long paths in the registry which allows for around 32,760 or so characters, which is some stutter
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

LOL Gary and handrawn. My keyboard's stutter is always the first indication that it's suffering from exhaustion. Unfortunately, since the input box is not large enough to show the full file name, it wasn't visible. But all's well that ends well.