Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retirement?

Default Re: Retirement?

Good points Pauland. I think our brains and body has to always be in motion. Our x mayor just turned 100 and she was cutting her own lawn just a few years ago, etc. Here is her story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTp0s33t56k

I retired at 55, behzad, that was 20 years ago. We've been through the care giver thing for both my family and my wife's. Also main caregiver for an aunt who lived to be 106. She lived in her own home till 103, so yes those times can be draining. First and foremost you have to be financially secure to have a good retirement. Retirement allows you to pursue hobbies or work when you feel like it, or travel. I've enjoyed every minute of retirement and never looked back. I just woke up one day and decided I didn't want
    to work for pay anymore. Enjoy your 50's and 60's because your 70's and older are not your best years as you get closer to the finish line. You can't buy time. I've lost more than half the good friends I grew up with now. This year has been a bummer in many ways with Covid, but the end is in sight. We love to travel in the winter. Being a speed freak one of my favorite yearly rituals is to take the Advanced Road Racing course at Bondurant Race School in Arizona. Something I never had the time to do when I was working (next winter for sure). If you are unsure take six months off and see how it works out. By the way I like your illustration. Robert Bateman lives on Salt Spring Island which I look at every morning out my kitchen window. Good luck on your future decision.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Wow, she is great!

Gray thank you for sharing that with me.

OMG - I am 56 and cant think of anything worse than retirement.

I have always worked all the hours God send and am driven as fear of failure haunts me (a long story from childhood when we were very poor).
    I have had an hard life but thankfully, have a very successful business and employ my whole family but cant hand over the reigns because they have all been spoilt and just dont know how to do things correctly (according to me anyway).

You are still a young and obviously talented and gifted man and cant just "retire" - I have seen what happens to active people who retire. The loose their zest for life, their brain power shrinks and become mentally and physically a shadow of their former self.
    We all need to be active, have goals and achieve things in life in order to feel alive.

Life is for living... its better to burn out than just fade away...

That's one way to look at it DrSlim but I'd disagree totally. I've been retired now for getting onto ten years, but even prior to that I was semi retired for several years before. To be honest there isn't enough hours in the day for me to return to work. Retirement isn't a switch. On reaching it you don't need to turn off. The alternative is true. You no longer have to 'work to live', you can work to fill your capabilities, your desires, your long forgotten dreams.

The only thing that stands in the balance is your financial situation but this doesn't stop your creativity.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by drslim2 View Post
    Life is for living......
    this I agree with 100%

however, speaking personally 'working all the hours God sends' on 'just one thing' is not living - of course some jobs entail a wide spectrum, but no matter how much I may love something, if I am obliged to do it all the time it is going to turn that love cold

but we are all different

and it may be difficult to retire and enjoy it, unless there are other interests you can pick up on, no matter how well off you may be

retitrement should not be a switching-off, and it is certainly does not have to mean fading away; it is more like moving house.. you are have a whole new territory to explore
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I like the moving house analogy, that's perfect. I also agree with Egg, not nearly enough hours in the day.

See PM

Even though I am retired I still want to paint and hopefully make something of myself.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.