Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am confused about what I own/.? bought v14 thru Magix>? then ProX v17 direct?

I let my upgrade service on purpose
    not going to pay $150 per year
    anyway - tried to install the component from the content catalog
    and keep getting bounced to Magix to upgrade
    do I lose install new content??????????>
    ????????????????????

Default Re: I am confused about what I own/.? bought v14 thru Magix>? then ProX v17 direct?

Hi, TheeeDragon.

The 365 model that Xara/Magix adopted a few years back requires a current subscription in order to download content from the on-line catalog. If/when you resubscribe in the future, it would be wise to download all the content and store it in a directory on your hard drive so that you can access it after the year finishes if you decide to let it expire again. A lot of users don't know the policy, and even more users are unhappy with it. Good luck.

Default Re: I am confused about what I own/.? bought v14 thru Magix>? then ProX v17 direct?

in other words
    a criminal scam
    it said update service - NOT access service
    but what about when I paid extra for v17 pro ? thought that was to XARA?
    thanks for intel

I must not be the only person in this situation
    good thing I not make sites for a living

still might go after MAGIX
    I am fuming

thanks again for the intel

easy now - if you had read and understood the licence agreement you would have appreciated this, and you have no redress in law if you did not, because you should have; lots don't and therefore get caught out, but that is their descision

I am not saying I approve of the way they do it, just saying it is not a scam
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I appreciate your comment about remaining calm,
    but I also understand deceptive practices in law
    When they talks about an upgrade service, it has certain legal implications
    and one of them is not that you lose access to product core features,
    Every time they sent a request for extension of annual payment it was to maintain upgrades
    And no time did it say you lose core features
    it will be fine to bring him to their knees
    And certainly nothing less than Global awareness f their deceptive practices

why would I not just pay xara direct for cloud services?

Nothing deceptive here.

You do not lose access to core features of the product when you are no longer covered by the Update Service. You lose access to the On-line Catalogue (online services) - which is not part of the program. If you had read the info and watched this forum where this has been discussed over and over and over, you would have known that you simply had to download all of the content from the On-line catalogue before the year was up. In fact, you should have done this anyways as it's much more convenient than going to the On-Line Catalogue every time that you want something. Pixabay stuff is not included, but you could have downloaded everything that you wanted before losing access. As well, I believe that you were warned that your Update Service was about to expire each time you opened Xara during the last month or so. I was.

I downloaded everything possible and I still have all of the content available in the Design Gallery, even though my update service expired on July 8, 2019 (as I am reminded of every time that I open Xara - grrrr).
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Well put John, don't think I have anything to add
    Nothing lasts forever...

Smile Re: I am confused about what I own/.? bought v14 thru Magix>? then ProX v17 direct?

well - you both make my point
    I too was warned about losing UPGRADES _ nothing else
    and I did not scour this forum before I bought - nor did I look for comments about upgrading
    as it was never my intent to do so - especially not after I bought and paid for pro x v17

see: UPGRADE - not get access to what was part of the program
    my menu says content catalog = NOT ONLINE content catalog as is the reference in the update page of Magix

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-02-26 12_57_48-Xara Designer Pro X17.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	129020

my comments are not negative about the forum or its members
    it is by Far the BEST user support group I have ever seen in 35 years of such work
    eternally grateful to all

let me then explain again in more detail:

the menu may say content catalog, but when you click on it what opens is clearly labelled Online Content Catalog - it is an external resource, not part of the program, just like the link in the help menu to online forum [here] is an external resource

when you installed the software you will have seen a screen like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eula agree.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	129022

as soon as you click on the agree and install button you have agrred to the terms under which you can use the program [because you never actually buy the program itself, only the right to use it]

I guess you did not click on the link and read it?

here is the relevant section - note the last line:

D. UPDATE SERVICE

The license for updates and features delivered within the scope of the Update Service is limited to the installation(s) in place at the first anniversary of the initial registration of the Software, or at the date of last renewal if that is more recent. It will therefore terminate if you re-install the software after the Update Service has lapsed, and you will fall back to the version of the software at the date of your initial purchase and registration, or the date of last renewal if that is more recent. These limitations do not apply if you extend the Update Service beyond the initial 12-month period.

Online services included in the Software (such as the Online Content Catalog including the templates, widgets, photos etc ) may end as soon as the Update Service expires, unless the Update Service is extended.
    If you want to read the whole thing it should be in your xara program folder a file called license [pro+ is a bit different]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Again , you make my point. The menue option says content catalog.. not on-line catalog...