Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Magix update or new version

yes - once it comes out you can buy a permanent one-off license from magix - I would download a trial and make sure it is what you need before you buy [you can keep your old version as well. or uninstall it as you wish]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Re "Version 18 of Xara Web Designer Premium" does it look lik it is this going to be something we can actually buy for a fixed fee, or the new insidious subscription-only business model (...where, if you ever want to edit your own data, over time you will pay an unlimited sum... until the day you die... which frankly talking of death I would rather die than pay!)
    That is one opinion. Mine is more along the lines that I still have the older version permanently so I can cancel the subscription at any time and still access my data. If I am so inclined I can resubscribe for a month at any point I choose. If desperate, I might relicense a Magix product, but boy with its rubbish service and paltry updates and miserly rollback policy...

Two sides of the same coin.

Another view is I charge others for building things. Why would I not stay current to provide the best and latest?
    As a hobbyist, I would be very happy with version 15, 10 or even 5 as I would use it as a tool rather than a business asset.

I have said elsewhere, consider it as a future investment so have the one-year cost of either in reserve so you can jump into or out of what is on offer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    That is one opinion. Mine is more along the lines that I still have the older version permanently so I can cancel the subscription at any time and still access my data. If I am so inclined I can resubscribe for a month at any point I choose. If desperate, I might relicense a Magix product, but boy with its rubbish service and paltry updates and miserly rollback policy...

Two sides of the same coin.

Another view is I charge others for building things. Why would I not stay current to provide the best and latest?
    As a hobbyist, I would be very happy with version 15, 10 or even 5 as I would use it as a tool rather than a business asset.

I have said elsewhere, consider it as a future investment so have the one-year cost of either in reserve so you can jump into or out of what is on offer.

Acorn
    Keeping an old version of software is a reasonable suggestion, but how long until Xara change the format of their files? If/when they do so then you are screwed. And they are long-overdue to do if they want to create the ability to create lines with arrow heads that actually stop at the end of the line, instead of some seemingly random distance beyond it!

It is sad to see such a great product die a long, slow death.

Yes, I can see why the licensing model works for corporates but hobbyist or even business users who long have an occasional requirement the subscription model doesn't make any sense of any sort.

Keeping an old version of software is a reasonable suggestion, but how long until Xara change the format of their files?
    There's some reverse logic in that. All Xara XAR/WEB files have been backward compatible across generations of versions up to now. Yes, Smart components will not edit in older versions but they are still presented, disabled but visible. There are always workarounds. If you need a new feature then buy the latest Magix version or if it is really vital lease Pro+ for a month until the next panic. MagiXara will always eek out new features to make you think owning it is crucial. If you fall for that then you might as well get a subscription: always current, better support, frequent updates, no Magix.

There is a cost to sticking; even the OS or your PC will eventually die. There is a cost to keeping current.
    It is down to how cussed you are.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Keeping an old version of software is a reasonable suggestion, but how long until Xara change the format of their files? If/when they do so then you are screwed. And they are long-overdue to do if they want to create the ability to create lines with arrow heads that actually stop at the end of the line, instead of some seemingly random distance beyond it!

It is sad to see such a great product die a long, slow death.

Yes, I can see why the licensing model works for corporates but hobbyist or even business users who long have an occasional requirement the subscription model doesn't make any sense of any sort.
    the thing that matters surely is that the feature you have asked for, for a very long time, now is here; that makes you happy right?

all the rest of it is another issue altogether - if you want/need to keep up to date, you have to pay to update either way, but at least the magix is optional, you can do it only when you consider it necessary; that is xara/magix business model and if they dont make enough money to keep going it all becomes academic

I rather like the idea of just subbing pro+ for a month when I need more than ver 15; what I hope xara do is make their online user management of this a lot easier without having to interact with them directly for things like change of payment method...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

I rather like the idea of just subbing pro+ for a month when I need more than ver 15; what I hope xara do is make their online user management of this a lot easier without having to interact with them directly for things like change of payment method...

Acorn's suggestion is an interesting one but indeed only if payments require just a few mouse clicks.

I've done it in the past with photoshop - adobe make it easy
    Nothing lasts forever...