Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Magix update or new version

    The email was from Xara and I believe was about the 20.8 release of Designer Pro+ from early Feb.
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...e-20-8-0-61047

    The 20.7 release of Designer Pro+ occurred before the holidays.
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-December-2020

    ....and the next release of Designer Pro+ is being polished and tested for public release next week.

    For all existing Xara Desktop product owners that are considering the leap to Xara Designer Pro+: there is a special 50% discount on your purchase today and you lock-in this price for your yearly renewals. Use the coupon code LIFETIME. This offer will expire soon. If you have any questions or have an active update service but want Pro+, then please contact us so we can help. https://www.xara.com/contact-us/

    Download Xara Designer Pro+ here: https://www.xara.com/xara-cloud-plus/new-bundle/
    * New and exclusive features
    * Frequent updates and bug fixes
    * Direct support from Xara

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Magix update or new version

    1. From a web development perspective (regardless of whether we are talking Magix sourced Designer Pro or Xara's Pro+.), to my mind, the last significant product update was v16 (June 2019). With it came Scale-to-Fit-Width (allowing a smooth transition from a wide desktop format, through tablet to a mobile format).

    2. I have followed many TG threads on the respective upgrade paths for Magix and Xara. My update service with Magix ended in August 2020 at v17.0 if one takes out the marketing hype, this should have been v16.4!

    3. I actively manage a handful of websites for friends and family - Xara is focused on cloud-based collaborate document management (https://www.xara.com/).

    4. I have no expectation there will be any significant web development functionality any time soon. Most of the free website 'Xara' templates are old in style (no variants), somewhat outdated, as are the slider/photo widgets.

    5. Fortunately, TG has provided the expertise, inspiration and support to make most Xara widgets redundant, with very good alternatives for sliders, photo grids, Navbars and so on.

    6. For me as a 'casual web user', I'll not be tracking down the Pro+ route anytime soon. I am not inspired by frequent updates that do nothing useful (other than fix bugs previously introduced).

    7. As to the Pro+ 'LIFETIME' discount, the net annual licence fee/subscription is circa 100; stop paying and you lose access to the product.

    8. The alternative, should you wish, is to Pro v(whatever number it might be) through Magix, whenever it appears (March 2021?), but at least it is a perpetual licence (it's yours to use for as along as you want).

    9. Who knows what relationship will exist between Xara and Magix in the future, but right now my Xara licence fee cost is zero and I can use the product for as along as I choose.

    10. BTW: I could still upgrade my old (not in use) Web Designer7 Premium for a one-off payment of GBP 40.00 to the latest version, through Magix, and get all the excellent third party templates (https://xaratemplates.com/product-ca...web-templates/) for FREE!

    The upgrade thought process will be different depending on whether you are a professional web-developer or a casual user. I have no objection to paying an annual update/support fee (as I do for other software), when there is actually a benefit from doing so.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Default Re: Magix update or new version

    I 2nd Initiostar. I do not see myself using the + anytime soon.
    Designfacet
    ____________________________________________
    Xara Designer Pro X 17.1.0.60486 DL x64 Oct 29 2020

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    18,536

    Default Re: Magix update or new version

    I have taken out a pro+ but if I don't see ongoing benefit I will revert to ver 15, me being one of the few it seems these days on TG who does not build websites

    the 4K is useful; the new rotation very; but there are alternatives outside of xara without the ongoing cost, or I just do it the old way...

    I can use the product for as along as I choose
    given that there are servers active to respond to it's activation checks - unlikely not to be, unless something happens to magix [/xara], but worth pointing out...
    -------------------------------
    Le temps n'attend pas
    carpe diem
    carpo vitae

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    12,822

    Info Re: Magix update or new version

    Still Magixal that Matt always fails to cover the Magix aspect. He initially promised the Update Service would have around four updates a year and slowly this has drifted almost back to the old-style Xara annual release. He promised Xara Cloud would be a server-based Designer Pro allowing agnostic browser-led design. This has been watered down too but augmented through Pro+.

    The LIFETIME offer is actually the right price for current users who have regularly renewed the nasty Magix Update Service; nasty because you have paid for a version you cannot keep after expiry, losing patches and on-line access. Those who can afford an annual payment are better positioned with Xara Cloud+ & Pro+ (provided they have a fall-back to Xara Designer Pro). As @Initostar points out later versions have little to offer in purposeful new capability.

    On the positive side, the hidden changes are quite creative and Xara would gain from revealing its technical roadmap (not a delivery one) to demonstrate a convergence to a properly integrated web-based product so we can all drop the marketing hype that Magix throws at us all.

    Had I not already bought all the XaraTemplate's templates and XBuilder, I would jump at the only useful Magix offer of a free XBuilder and almost ignore the XWDP copy.

    If you already own XDPX (any version)

    • My recommendation requires a commitment of funds towards the equivalent of two years' subscription to Xara Cloud+ with Pro+.
    • If after the first year you do not like the freedom from Magix, spend the second amount on an update to XDPX.
    • Or save money and buy a new XWDP at the right time for another Magix XBuilder offer..
    • You will have:
      • Original XDPX with new shiny XWDP or updated XDPX.
      • All the on-line assets XPro+ and Xara Cloud+ had.
      • Access to TG to help you cope with XWDP limitations, which are mostly minor.


    If you already own XWDP (any version)
    • Renew the Update Service getting XBuilder.
    • Commit to a year of LIFETIME subscription now or hope Xara sees the light that if they want to regain customers back from Magix, there is a hit involved.
    • You will have:
      • A XWDP at most a version older.
      • All the on-line assets XPro+ and Xara Cloud+ had.
      • Access to TG to help you (you already knew what you can do with XWDP).


    Either route is around 160 commitment.

    Acorn
    Acorn - installed and active Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+, XDPX, XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7, Xara Xtreme 5, back through time (to CC's Artworks).
    Raise software faults with MagiXara: http://support.magix.net/; if Cloud+/Pro+: https://xara.com/contact-us/

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    18,536

    Default Re: Magix update or new version

    I'm guessing the initial initial promises were made before xara had decided [or firmed up] the descision to remove the magix encumberance; said encumberance may in practice actually have hindered/prevented them fullfilling what they initially promised
    -------------------------------
    Le temps n'attend pas
    carpe diem
    carpo vitae

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Magix update or new version

    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I'm guessing the initial initial promises were made before Xara had decided [or firmed up] the decision to remove the Magix encumbrance; said encumbrance may in practice actually have hindered/prevented them fulfilling what they initially promised
    As I understand, Xara took a decision with 3m of VC investment to 'venture' into a new market; farmed out the marketing and support for its then current generation of products to Magix. Xara only has circa 40 heads and its priorities with newly minted VC funds would have to be directed towards its new market.

    I would not take issue with that decision, but it was always going to impact ongoing development of its then current products. I for one, fully understand that challenge.

    But, I'm not sure I would have walked away from 1m existing customers; it would be have been easier and more fruitful to have published a technology roadmap and married it with an upgrade marketing strategy. The latter could have been a support/upgrade licence that retained the licence perpetuity of use for the base product, but extended the collaborative functionality through a cloud-based subscription.

    It would have been easy to achieve both objectives and keep the underlying technology more in sync than it is. Now Xara has to faff-about building a separate release for Magix aka Pro v (whatever) at the same time as trying to advance into a new market.

    With little effort, one could have transitioned to a single base product (including WD, WDP and Pro); existing users would have had the option to take up an annual support/ upgrade deal (preferential rates) and additionally subscribe to a cloud-based collaborative document management solution.

    The objectives at the time were not mutually exclusive, and they're not even now.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,736

    Default Re: Magix update or new version

    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    ...

    • Or save money and buy a new XWDP at the right time for another Magix XBuilder offer..
    • You will have:
      • Original XDPX with new shiny XWDP ....
      • ...
      • Access to TG to help you cope with XWDP limitations, which are mostly minor.

    ....
    That's what I did during the Magix Christmas sales. Even when calculating XBuilder at the discount price for which it was offered on Xara Templates' own site, XWDP required only an extra € 11. Compare that with the ridiculous upgrade price of € 149 (!) for XDP (okay, including a set of Xara web templates) and I'm happy to continue to use XDP 15.1, but now in tandem with XWDP 17. I haven't bothered with the XDP+ option, though.

    I've said it before, I love the XDAs, especially XDP but, however sad it is, Xara lost their way a long time ago and have been zigzagging to find their way back to relevance ever since.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,736

    Default Re: Magix update or new version

    But perhaps, I suddenly realize, I should look at the whole situation differently, as it is actually remarkable that Xara has managed to survive to this day.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,899

    Default Re: Magix update or new version

    New Nag screen says March 22.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	129019
    Designfacet
    ____________________________________________
    Xara Designer Pro X 17.1.0.60486 DL x64 Oct 29 2020

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •