Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge Feathering

Default Edge Feathering

Is it possible in Designer Pro, to firstly feather a single edge of an image and then secondly specify the angle at which the feather is applied?

I don't have Designer Pro (I only use Page and Layout Designer) but will purchase Designer Pro immediately if this is possible.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter.

Default Re: Edge Feathering

to feather just one side I used to make a composite - ie used a combination of a feathered image and a non-feathered image one on top of the other and applying transparency to get the effect - in other words masking

I have never tried to angle a feather, but again it may be possible in some such way

but I have not done this in xara for a few years... others might have better ideas...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

PJH, you can achieve many edge feathering effects with what you currently have.

Clone your image and in the Fill Tool change Bitmap to Flat Fill.
    Make the fill colour black.

You can then use a multi-stage Transparency or even use No Colour nodes in the Fill Tool with Linear and Circular settings.
    for the latter then end Nodes need a colour (Black, anything); just have it beyond the feather region.

Any number and arrangement of these under the image with the image set to Transparency, Flat, Screen (Bleach), 0%, will give you unlimited feather gradients and angle.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

As acorn said, I'd use a linear transparency along one edge to achieve a one edge feathering. And as hand-drawn suggests, you could combine your visible object with a larger transparent object grouped together with an edge feathering applied - the other 3 feathered edges are transparent, but that's an odd way of doing that - I'd go for the linear transparency as the preferred means.

to me, feathering is a combintaion of transparency and blur - I used to use the xara feathering tool for that and then lay over an unfeathered clone and reveal the feathered edge using transparency

btw: my user name is not hand drawn with or without the hyphen, it is Han drawn, a phonetical conceit of San ... ありがとうございました
    Nothing lasts forever...

Do you need to achieve someting like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edge_feathering.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	128882
    This is done using a greyscale angled image applied as a mask on the edge of the rectangles.
    Marco.

Thanks for help, everyone!

I'm going to give the linear transparency a try in Page and Layout designer.

My application is to create a fade out along the bottom edge of an inverted image to resemble a reflection of the image above it. Sometimes I need to apply the fade out to a text heading reflection but I find that on text the linear fade out was too abrupt. I couldn't get the gradual fade right.

Thanks again!

sort of like this?

Name:	reflect.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	128899
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, kind of. More like this.

If I had the ability to angle the fade, the reflection would be even all around the truck. I know it's subtle but it still bothers me.

Name:	Test Reflection.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	128901

This is an example of the text reflection. You can see that without the option to angle the reflection, the T in text is a lot more faded than the N in reflection.

Name:	Text Reflection.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	128903