Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Site Ideas

Default Site Ideas

Seeing how people are saying TG is slow at the moment here's my latest project.

Back story:
    My son is a DJ/producer. During the Covid restrictions a group of 12 local DJs started sharing ideas and formed Home Grown. 12 months later restrictions are lifted and large music festivals are now back here in Queensland.
    The group are pretty well established in the Gold Coast nightclubs and have secured their first large festival. They now feel they would like a website to compliment their social media.

"Dad, we want a website. Different to the usual template stuff. Weird, or bright, or shocking, something in your face. Aim at mobiles, we don't care about desktops. There's a bar of chocolate in it for you."

>>> Home Grown 1 <<<
    >>> Home Grown 2 <<<
    >>> Home Grown 3 <<<

Waiting for them to have a board meeting in the Tipsy Pig before I get further instructions with regards to content. I've already abandoned #2.
    No links or anything yet. Page sizes are all 640px, pasteboard set to 'Fill Browser Window' no 'Scale To Fit Width'. They look decent on both mobile and 1920 screens in my opinion.

You have until their last gig at Tipsy's on Sunday night (Aus east coast time) to tell me I failed and field opinions.
    Last edited by Chris M; 12 February 2021 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Changed 2 to 3

Default Re: Site Ideas

3 misidentified as 2. 1 being my distant second fav. If you could somehow animate the colors, maybe some kind of cycling, that would be even better. And of course some music in the background.

Animating the colours is a good idea. I'm thinking fading the background to monochrome whilst simultaneously fading colour into the text. I have no clue how to do that, but I'll enjoy playing around and finding out.

Yes ... I agree 3 and then 1, 2 is a non starter in my (very humble) opinion.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

3 is my fav.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    And of course some music in the background.
    They'll want their Spotify/Soundcloud/individual sites used for music. This is purely for events.

I've used 5 slots for the group members, but there's going to be 13 in total and, I presume, a contact form. Hopefully they don't add too much as I'm looking at it much like an advertising brochure.

Nr. 3 is my favorite too.

Typical. I mention the lack of Covid restrictions and Melbourne records 13 new cases, goes into a 5 day strict lockdown and Queensland shuts the borders.

I am not a fan of any of them.

I would use images from actual gigs.
    I would have an immediate call to action at the very beginning - talking directly to the visitor
    I would stop presenting imagery as though a mobile was a desktop (as in the collection of posters)
    The traditional "about us" kind of thing is really boring in this context.

They need a news section (don't call it that) and to grow on Twitter, Tik Tok, youtube and Facebook.

Each DJ could make a post about some current DJ trend or subject, not all at once but to gain a following over time - blog or even a vlog. A little story about an upcoming or past gig. A shout out to some people (who will then post it on to their friends). They need to create a buzz around the group. Get some interviews with artists/musicians. Do some stupid stunt on the beach to get people to repost.

A simple website does nothing, it's the social aspect that counts. Don't make people yawn.

@pauland: I'm very glad you've taken the time to comment as I admire your face on approach to things like this. Could trouble you to add a little more detail to a couple of your observations?

The site isn't aimed at the general public, they are chasing event organising staff and industry head hunters. Twitter and Reddit are a go, but Tik Tok and Youtube would be out. Unsure about Facebook. I'm at the tyre kicking part and believe that the site will be used like a resumé - sent out to various 'in-the-know' people as a network tool. QR codes on business cards, link on Soundcloud, vCard on text messages...that type of thing. Standing out from the template crowd is the aim.

Using imagery from actual gigs isn't possible at the moment as their first festival isn't until 13th of next month. Luke (my son) and one other have done smaller festivals, but as a group they are all nightclub based. However, I do see your point and they can be added as and when they occur.

Now you've brought it to my attention, I do agree the posters miss the mark.

I don't follow your comment regarding "about us". At the moment there isn't one. If you mean the Statement section, then that part is probably the most important to get right as the organisers will need to know what they are potentially hiring. At this level DJs are commanding $3,000+ for a 2 day event...more if they are travelling interstate, but they'd be extremely lucky to be offered interstate without more under their belt. I fully expect the group to supply links to individual portfolios or personal websites as their about us part.

In this case, the social aspect isn't important, they already have followers as individuals and are often rolled out in club advertising. It's more about applying for a job, more factual than marketing.