Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Automatic Reveal Popup Layer that is Intentionally Closeable

Hi All,

I need a layer to open automatically when the website is accessed but can be closed after viewing. I do not want to have to trigger it for reveal without being able to intentionally close it, nor do I want to have to click on something for it to appear either. Is there some way that it can fade in after the web page has loaded and then can be intentionally closed by clicking on an 'X'? Ideally, if I could set it up to 'Reveal' on open, but then click 'X' to close it - that would be fantastic! But it seems 'X' to close is only for mouseovers... not reveals. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Automatic Reveal Popup Layer that is Intentionally Closeable

There have been different examples given in the past. This is just another variation. Hope this is what you were looking for.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Info Re: Automatic Reveal Popup Layer that is Intentionally Closeable

sorengen, here is another approach.
    The only trick is the use of jQuery for the Close icon. The rest is pure Xara.

Adding a reveal animation automatically loads up the jQuery library.
    Putting a bang (!) before the !Message Layer ensures it can be hidden but still publish.
    All Message objects get a special Name of htmlclass="message".

You can change the Animation with different types and delays for any Message object.

The delay to the Close icon can be set to a time by replacing hide('slow') with hide ('fast') or hide(mmmm), where mmmm is a number of milliSeconds.

JS - Pop-up Message.xar

With either siran's or my solution, the Message appear every time you open the page.
    More code is needed if you want the viewer to dismiss it forever.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Nice solutions Siran & Acorn. Stored in my Goodies folder.

@ Acorn, yours works fine in Edge & Chrome but in FireFox I get:

[object Object]
    Think we had the same problem in FF a short while ago?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Nice solutions Siran & Acorn. Stored in my Goodies folder.
    @ Acorn, yours works fine in Edge & Chrome but in FireFox I get:
    Think we had the same problem in FF a short while ago?
    Thanks Egg, changing the link to javascript: void $('.message').hide('slow'); works in all browsers.
    Note to self: check all browsers. Oh yes, Xara mucked up my workflow by removing the useful browser launch bar from Preview!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yep, that works fine.
    Xara mucked up my workflow by removing the useful browser launch bar from Preview!
    I also hate the numerous tabs I have open.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Problem solved!
    Last edited by Driesse; 27 February 2021 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Solved

Quote Originally Posted by s1ssasLs2 View Post
    One option could be to use a lightbox. A lightbox is a type of overlay that appears on top of your web page. It can be closed by clicking on an 'X' in the corner of the lightbox. Another option could be to use a modal. A modal is a type of overlay that appears on top of your web page and can be closed by clicking on a button or link. The easiest way would be to use a plugin from [a removed link to some wordpress-popup] that will create the perfect pop-up for your site that will bring more traffic to you. Hope this can help you.
    I'm guessing that you are spamming us as your solution of WP does not satisfy the OP ask. Neither do you provide any concrete example of a lightbox or modal pop-up; both of which are awkward to implement in a Xara design.

TG is not here to provide "more traffic" to your site either. This was not asked for by the OP who was given a working answer in one day. You've come in a year and a half late.

I shall close this Thread in a few days to give you a chance of reply. You have probably already earned sufficient infractions to merit being Banned but I shall await your response.

Acorn