Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to scale to fit

Jever raised this question recently but I don't want to hijack his post and thought I should post separately.

I too would like my site to fill the screen rather than appear as it does now. The advice given to Jever was to use 'scale to fit'. As suggested by Acorn I have changed the pasteboard colour to white and then I tried to go the 'stretchy full width' route with absolutely no luck at all. For some reason I can't click on the header. I tried to set the stretchy options but not surprisingly I suppose nothing happened.

Would someone be able to give me step by step instructions please? I have attached my xar file. Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: How to scale to fit

Your headline banner and shadow are locked in the Page and Pasteboard layers.

You can unlock these layers (temporarily) and extend the banner and shadow to be full width.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extend Banne-P&G Gallery.PNG 
Views:	76 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	128827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extend Banner.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	128828

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Your headline banner and shadow are locked in the Page and Pasteboard layers.

You can unlock these layers (temporarily) and extend the banner and shadow to be full width.

Name:	Extend Banne-P&G Gallery.PNG 
Views:	76 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	128827Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extend Banner.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	128828

Gary
    Thank you Gary that worked fine. I'm having trouble now with the footer which has a text box in it so it can't be stretched. Is there a way around that?

Thinking about it, the simplest thing is to delete the text box which is what I have now done.
    Last edited by JFry; 08 February 2021 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JFry View Post
    Thank you Gary that worked fine. I'm having trouble now with the footer which has a text box in it so it can't be stretched. Is there a way around that?
    Double click on the footer and you will be able to edit inside the group, move the text to one side, marquee select the footer objects and extend to full width, reposition the text, close and save the edit.

Scale-to-fit-Width: Utilities, Web Export Options - Choose Scale-to-fit-Width - you can set the maximum to anything you want, but not sure for your site I'd go beyond 1200.

Name:	Scale-to-fit-Width.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	128829

Should you be thinking to add a mobile variant here is a basic template, full headline banner, scale-to-fit-width that transitions to a mobile variant with a matching menu (transitions from horizontal to vertical)

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Template/

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Double click on the footer and you will be able to edit inside the group, move the text to one side, marquee select the footer objects and extend to full width, reposition the text, close and save the edit.

Scale-to-fit-Width: Utilities, Web Export Options - Choose Scale-to-fit-Width - you can set the maximum to anything you want, but not sure for your site I'd go beyond 1200.

Name:	Scale-to-fit-Width.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	128829

Should you be thinking to add a mobile variant here is a basic template, full headline banner, scale-to-fit-width that transitions to a mobile variant with a matching menu (transitions from horizontal to vertical)

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Template/

Gary
    Thank you. I have set it to 1100 and that looks fine.

Thank you. I have set it to 1100 and that looks fine.
    Sorry, I have managed to mess something up. My public pages are fine now but I also have a members' area. I have tried to repeat your instructions there but the footer looks distinctly odd. Could you have a look at it please?

Sorry, I have managed to mess something up. My public pages are fine now but I also have a members' area. I have tried to repeat your instructions there but the footer looks distinctly odd. Could you have a look at it please?
    Nothing too serious - if you mean the thinner dark blue rectangle has moved to the bottom of the taller blue rectangle, right click, open the repeating footer object and move the thin blue rectangle back above the grey rectangle to match the main site, save [attached].

Personally, I would think about making the footer thinner (e.g.)

Name:	footer.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	128838

Looks much better with Scale-to-fit-Width and the full-width header banner.

Gary

BTW: remember to lock both the Page and Pasteboard layers

You are right, I much prefer the thinner footer. Thanks for your advice - I think I'm okay now.