Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default videos as a background on chrome and firefox do not auto start

Hello.
    I want to insert a video as a background but when I open the site the video does not start automatically.

on the placeholder I have:
    <video class = "xar_meplayer" src = "index_htm_files / Communication - 19498.mp4" controls autoplay width = "100%" height = "100%" />

This is the link of the test site: https://opencreative.it/

The 2 videos on chrome do not start
    1 of 2 videos on firefox start up

Where am I doing wrong?
    What is the exact procedure to insert a video as a background without problems?
    Should I use a gif file?

Default Re: videos as a background on chrome and firefox do not auto start

Chrome does not allow a video to autostart if it is not muted.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

for which those of us who use headphones a lot are truely grateful, never mind those at work
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    for which those of us who use headphones a lot are truely grateful, never mind those at work
    Amen

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I deleted the audio from the video. On firefox it works but on chrome it doesn't. I've updated the sample site for more feedback. Is there another way to mutate the video?

Quote Originally Posted by megapixel51 View Post
    I deleted the audio from the video. On Firefox it works but on chrome it doesn't. I've updated the sample site for more feedback. Is there another way to mutate the video?
    Martin,

I don't use the Xara Media Player, prefer to have the user's browser controls.

Use a proportionally sized placeholder ( in your communication vid: 1280 x 720 or your other vid: 1024 x 720, both scaled to suit). Use the following standard body code below with "autoplay" and "muted" together and "loop" should your design require it.

Code:
    <video id="test" width="100%" height="100%" controls autoplay loop muted>
    <source src="https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/vid/Communicaction.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    </video>
    Output: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Vid/

Chrome applies stricter rules than Firefox and Edge; deleting the audio channel does not work in Chrome.

Gary

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Video/index.htm
    Last edited by Initiostar; 04 February 2021 at 02:32 PM. Reason: More on Video Backgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by megapixel51 View Post
    I deleted the audio from the video. On firefox it works but on chrome it doesn't. I've updated the sample site for more feedback. Is there another way to mutate the video?
    <video class="xar_meplayer" src="https://opencreative.it/index_htm_files/Communication - 19498.mp4" controls autoplay muted width="100%" height="100%" />

Acorn

With your advice I solved my problem. Acorn's muted option is really good, simple and effective. Now I also try the Initiostar solution. Thank you all.