Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can't see new colour profile window after upgrade to Pro+ 20.8.0.61047

I'm pleased that there is now supposed to be the option to view a Xara document onscreen using different colour profiles in this release but I've upgraded and can't find the option. The guidance online says to use the Window option on the Utilities menu but that option does not appear on my Utilities menu! Can anyone help?

Default Re: Can't see new colour profile window after upgrade to Pro+ 20.8.0.61047

it should be on the view tab of utilites / options, not on the utilites menu itself

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cm option cmyk.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	128795
    Last edited by handrawn; 02 February 2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: fix attachment
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Can't see new colour profile window after upgrade to Pro+ 20.8.0.61047

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it should be on the view tab of utilites / options, not on the utilites menu itself

Name:	cm option cmyk.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	128795
    Thanks, that makes sense. I've found it now. The only thing now is that it won't accept any of my printer profiles as valid CMYK profiles so I'll have to investigate further!

Sorry my fault, should be Utilities > Options, corrected now.

If you have an ICC profile that isn't uploading, can you send it to me so we can take a look? Easiest is probably just to email it to me robert@xara.com

Many thanks

Cheers Rob-Xar

Hi,
    I haven't updated XDP for a long time. Poor color management is one of the reasons. I was glad that Xara made progress in this direction. I tested this with PRO+ demo version.
    I tried various profiles, but I couldn't see the difference. Does it even work? Some kind of trick?

Name:	cmyk prev.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	129021

Hi,
    I am grateful for the numerous responses and comments. I understood. Not worth wasting time and money with new version. While!

like you I don't see a difference on screen, but I may not be doing it right, it's a long time since I bothered with cmyk in xara - there is a difference though when exported as PDF/x

so I think that it may be it does not show on the screen as some of the info from xara imlplies, unless as I say, we are doing it wrong

as you are using pro+ you could go to the xara website log on and ask the question via chat referring them to your posts here; be interested to know what they say
    Nothing lasts forever...

Color management is a funny thing. Or, frustrating...depending on how "funny" is defined.

Some general observations from a person who doesn't have / will not even download a trial of Plus. I do not know which color engine Xara decided to use. For years I suggested LCMS.

In general, you shouldn't see a difference in same color defined vector objects. Even with an rgb image--depending on how Xara is handling rgb images--they too may demonstrate no to little change.

One idea of profiles is how to interpret, or characterize, color. Then the application and OS then needs to exchange/convert that profiled color to rgb screen values.

With color profiles, there is some "magic" that happens in the color engine having to do with characterization and curves handling (things like ink density). The first bit of magic should not necessarily change the on-screen representation, the second limits, for instance, how much ink to lay down and to convert the numbers to those that the print device can handle.

Oh. A specific print profile should not be used for on-screen viewing, only printing. A print device's profile is used for profile to profile conversion at the time of print.

thanks mike

in this link here:

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...352#post633352

amongst other things rob says:

Color profiles controls the way that CMYK colors appear on your monitor, giving you a close representation of how it will look when printed
    that I think is where confusion arises - maybe it does this, just not in xara program ?
    Nothing lasts forever...