Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I'm doing something wrong....

Jever, you are using a very recent XDA (Xara HTML filter v.9.6.2.48) so the following should help you:

Object Selection: Page & Layer gallery > Layer View: double-click a thumbnail then toggle Unlock icon on dark grey top-right > (un)locks everything.
    (Object) Stretch to Full Width: Selected object > Utilities > Web Sticky/Stretchy > Stretch properties: Full width.
    (Website) Scale to Fit Width: Utilities > Export > Scale to fit: Scale to fit width: maximum 1280 (my recommendation).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@jever. You’ve done amazingly well considering this is your first website, and it looks very good too. If you do have a little time of your hands you can always play with the program and NOT use a template. I’ve found templates most confusing for those new to Xara because templates use some advanced features that you may not understand completely. I mention because I went through it.

Just open a new page, and plop a photo down. Play with the settings that @acorn mentioned resize, and drop some text down. Simply view a template and try to duplicate it. Draw some rectangle and shapes. Try to add some layers and draw on those layers.

Small steps with a good footing on the protocols of Xara will go a long way to understand the power of the program.
    Remember most of your questions are covered in the manual, and if you can’t understand features in the manual you have this forum.

You’ve got a great start, and with many friends on the forum.

Sorry if I’m being a bit simplistic, but all of us have different learning stories. Most have designed their own sites. You can fool around with the program, and when stuck you can head to the manual or the forum.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Just to be clear. There's no need to unlock any layers to implement the Stretch To Full Width or Scale To Fit Width. You mentioned earlier you presumed it would be neccessary to do so...it isn't

I guess the stretchy feature is only available in WebDesigner Premium and Designer Pro, but didn't install the standard version to test. The comparison page hints to this:

https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/compare/

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    I guess the stretchy feature is only available in WebDesigner Premium and Designer Pro, but didn't install the standard version to test. The comparison page hints to this:

https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/compare/
    Could be. I'm using Web Designer Premium.

Hi all,

I've tried following Acorn's instructions but the stretch option isn't available under utilities in my version, so as I see it, I'm left with two choices: I can either upgrade to premium for £19.99 (thinking about it) or I can start with a blank sheet of paper and design my own at full width (1280px I assume?).

The second option isn't that bad in that I have all of the content that I want to present, I just need to set out a format.

I've had a few frustrating moments with this but overall I've quite enjoyed it, so I might just have a go at the second option....no doubt I'll be back with questions!

Thank you everyone for the friendly guidance.

Jever

I've just looked, as opposed to glanced, at the comparison siran posted. The non premium must only be a 2.5MB download.

Quote Originally Posted by Jever View Post
    Hi all,
    I've tried following Acorn's instructions but the stretch option isn't available under utilities in my version, so as I see it, I'm left with two choices: I can either upgrade to premium for £19.99 (thinking about it) or I can start with a blank sheet of paper and design my own at full width (1280px I assume?).
    The second option isn't that bad in that I have all of the content that I want to present, I just need to set out a format.
    I've had a few frustrating moments with this but overall I've quite enjoyed it, so I might just have a go at the second option....no doubt I'll be back with questions!
    Thank you everyone for the friendly guidance. Jever
    Jever, I am sorry I didn't appreciate that you were using Xara Web Designer.

Xara should never have let Magix market such a cut-down version: https://www.xara.com/uk/web-designer/compare/. It does the application a disservice.

The upgrade to Premium for £20 is worth it.

What I would do is download the trial and change your design that way for free.
    If when it is ported back into cut-down Designer it should work completely, just some things you may not be able to edit as the user interface has been blanked off; the underlying engine is the same across all versions.

Come back and we can provide CSS workarounds to get objects working in cut-down Designer to Stretch to Full Width.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Come back and we can provide CSS workarounds to get objects working in cut-down Designer to Stretch to Full Width.
    I know you like playing with CSS, but the ability to right click > sticky stretchy is far easier. Throw in all the other stuff and 20 sterling (my keyboard doesn't have a £ key) is a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I know you like playing with CSS, but the ability to right click > sticky stretchy is far easier. Throw in all the other stuff and 20 sterling (my keyboard doesn't have a £ key) is a steal.
    But I'll only charge a prawn or half a lobster to you (£5 elsewhere) for my service.

Acorn

P.S. (Numeric keyboard):Alt+0163 == Alt+156 == £, which I'm sure you know already.