Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I'm doing something wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Who are you calling educated? I'll not have you spreading rumours like that. People will start expecting.

Haha, just to prove a point I quoted the wrong person...
    i deny all knowledge of anyone who is 'expecting'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Acorn,

Some really good points there, thank you, I shall try to work through them.

I've been comparing my site to others and mine appears to be the only one that doesn't fill the screen entirely.

Do you think that makes it look a bit amateur? Strictly speaking, it is an amateur effort but I would like it to look as good as my competitors' websites.

Are there standard templates available that will overcome this? I have the content that I want to present, it's just a case of setting it out well now.

Jever

By the way, Acorn, how does one create a favicon? Can I do this in Xara?

Can you explain what you mean by use help for the bold phrases?

A favicon is the tiny picture that shows on your browsers tab. The red and white TG is a favicon. The following works well but will ot be the only way to make one...

Create an image (Acorn suggests the red callipers) in a square 120px x 120px. Making it square is important. The TG favicon obviously isn't, which is why the bottom of the G is cut off.
    With the image selected click the luggage label on the toolbar and type favicon into the Apply Name field, then click Add
    Your favicon need not be on the page area so move it off if it is. I usually push mine off the top of the home page.

The 'use help for the bold phrases' means Acorn suggests using the Xara help files to give you an understanding of what the phrases mean and how to implement them.

I can't help you with templates as I have never used one.

Info Re: I'm doing something wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Jever View Post
    I've been comparing my site to others and mine appears to be the only one that doesn't fill the screen entirely.
    Do you think that makes it look a bit amateur? Strictly speaking, it is an amateur effort but I would like it to look as good as my competitors' websites.
    Are there standard templates available that will overcome this? I have the content that I want to present, it's just a case of setting it out well now.
    Jever
    By the way, Acorn, how does one create a favicon? Can I do this in Xara? Can you explain what you mean by use help for the bold phrases?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    A favicon is the tiny picture that shows on your browsers tab. The red and white TG is a favicon. The following works well but will ot be the only way to make one...
    Create an image (Acorn suggests the red callipers) in a square 120px x 120px. Making it square is important. The TG favicon obviously isn't, which is why the bottom of the G is cut off.
    With the image selected click the luggage label on the toolbar and type favicon into the Apply Name field, then click Add
    Your favicon need not be on the page area so move it off if it is. I usually push mine off the top of the home page.
    The 'use help for the bold phrases' means Acorn suggests using the Xara help files to give you an understanding of what the phrases mean and how to implement them.
    I can't help you with templates as I have never used one.
    @Chris, thank you for fielding the above.

@Jever, Xara provides a Scale to fit option that would grow your site to the width of the browser.
    You can also tweak the current template without having to jump ship.

• Change the Pasteboard colour to White.
    • Make the top bar Stretchy Full Width.
    • Lose the top gap.
    • Add a banner image (as in the index page) and make Stretchy Full Width.

With scale to fit, the pages would appear mre dynamic should a viewer change Zoom or browser width.

You still need to introduce a Variant.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for all the tips, they're going to take me a while to work through but I will get there.

I made a favicon and added it in (quite proud of myself) - https://www.eyork.uk/privacy.htm

Unfortunately it's only showing up on the tab on two pages and doesn't show on my favourites toolbar.

Is there a setting in Xara that I need to change?

Jever

Thanks for all the tips, they're going to take me a while to work through but I will get there.
    I made a favicon and added it in (quite proud of myself) - https://www.eyork.uk/privacy.htm
    Unfortunately it's only showing up on the tab on two pages and doesn't show on my favourites toolbar.
    Is there a setting in Xara that I need to change? Jever
    Jever, just refresh your browser for each page with Ctrl+F5.

As you are republishing a lot the browser caches items not realising you've done an update.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Brilliant, problem solved, thank you.

Bearing in mind I rushed this just to give you a hands on sample to play with. No thought went into the image, font or colours.

Top menu bar - rectangle Stretch to Full Width
    Image - Stretch to Full Width
    Hero section - 2 rectangles, top one white line transparent fill
    Footer - rectangle Stretch to Full Width and Fit To Page (Bottom)

Site size is 960px
    Website export option is Scale to Fit Width (1280)

>>> Jever.web <<<

Hi Guys,

I've worked through Acorn's first list of comments and am pleased with the results (although the ICAEW is still under review).

I'm now working on increasing the with to fill the screen, so I'm looking for the Stretch to full width function in Xara. I've searched through help and can't find anything there - is this a Xara Pro function only or is it available in the standard version?

If so, where do I find it? Also, will I need to unlock the layers in order to use this function? I'm assuming I will.

Also, where would I find the Scale to Fit Width function? It doesn't appear to be in my export/publish settings.

Thanks in advance

Jever