Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: I'm doing something wrong....

I guess the stretchy feature is only available in WebDesigner Premium and Designer Pro, but didn't install the standard version to test. The comparison page hints to this:

https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/compare/

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    I guess the stretchy feature is only available in WebDesigner Premium and Designer Pro, but didn't install the standard version to test. The comparison page hints to this:

https://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/compare/
    Could be. I'm using Web Designer Premium.

Hi all,

I've tried following Acorn's instructions but the stretch option isn't available under utilities in my version, so as I see it, I'm left with two choices: I can either upgrade to premium for £19.99 (thinking about it) or I can start with a blank sheet of paper and design my own at full width (1280px I assume?).

The second option isn't that bad in that I have all of the content that I want to present, I just need to set out a format.

I've had a few frustrating moments with this but overall I've quite enjoyed it, so I might just have a go at the second option....no doubt I'll be back with questions!

Thank you everyone for the friendly guidance.

Jever

I've just looked, as opposed to glanced, at the comparison siran posted. The non premium must only be a 2.5MB download.

Quote Originally Posted by Jever View Post
    Hi all,
    I've tried following Acorn's instructions but the stretch option isn't available under utilities in my version, so as I see it, I'm left with two choices: I can either upgrade to premium for £19.99 (thinking about it) or I can start with a blank sheet of paper and design my own at full width (1280px I assume?).
    The second option isn't that bad in that I have all of the content that I want to present, I just need to set out a format.
    I've had a few frustrating moments with this but overall I've quite enjoyed it, so I might just have a go at the second option....no doubt I'll be back with questions!
    Thank you everyone for the friendly guidance. Jever
    Jever, I am sorry I didn't appreciate that you were using Xara Web Designer.

Xara should never have let Magix market such a cut-down version: https://www.xara.com/uk/web-designer/compare/. It does the application a disservice.

The upgrade to Premium for £20 is worth it.

What I would do is download the trial and change your design that way for free.
    If when it is ported back into cut-down Designer it should work completely, just some things you may not be able to edit as the user interface has been blanked off; the underlying engine is the same across all versions.

Come back and we can provide CSS workarounds to get objects working in cut-down Designer to Stretch to Full Width.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Come back and we can provide CSS workarounds to get objects working in cut-down Designer to Stretch to Full Width.
    I know you like playing with CSS, but the ability to right click > sticky stretchy is far easier. Throw in all the other stuff and 20 sterling (my keyboard doesn't have a £ key) is a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I know you like playing with CSS, but the ability to right click > sticky stretchy is far easier. Throw in all the other stuff and 20 sterling (my keyboard doesn't have a £ key) is a steal.
    But I'll only charge a prawn or half a lobster to you (£5 elsewhere) for my service.

Acorn

P.S. (Numeric keyboard):Alt+0163 == Alt+156 == £, which I'm sure you know already.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi all,

I'm not sure it's relevant to anyone contributing to the thread but just in case anyone reading is considering upgrading to premium, it's not £19.99, it's £41.99.

The 'upgrade' for £19.99 is a software update service (to 2023 in my case), which I've just paid for and am more than a little frustrated that I didn't get a premium upgrade.

Beware!

Jever