Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I'm doing something wrong....

...but I can't see what.

Hi all,

I'm new to website publishing so please assume I know nothing.

I'm stuck at home with not much work at the moment, so to fill my time, I thought I'd try updating my own website, which previously was done by someone else.

The guy who did my last website said he used Xara Magix, so I bought a copy of that and used one of their pre-made templates.

I've made a five-page website that looks great when I preview it on my computer. The problem comes when I upload it. What appears is clearly the website I wrote, the photos are there but the text grows in size and looks a complete mess.

Is there a process I should be going through before uploading to get the format right?

It looked so bad I replaced it with a blank page that had a reconstruction message on it but when I uploaded that the text disappreared and all that's left is a white sheet.

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

One last question: When you upload a website, does it automatically delete/replace the previous website?

Thanks in advance

Jever

Default Re: I'm doing something wrong....

you will need to post here your xara WEB/XAR file - or reload your site and supply a link, otherwise it is guesswork
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Upload your site as you did originally and view it. If it looks funky press ctrl+F5 and see if that fixes it. If not post back here.

Hi,

Well this is weird, I uploaded it again and the text looks fine now.

Here it is: https://www.eyork.uk/index.htm

Is there any way I can get it to fill the entire screen instead of just being a strip down the middle?

By the way, what happens to the preceding website when you upload? Does it automatically get replaced/deleted?

Jever

What happened is your browser held the old site in it's cache and displayed a mix of the new site and the one it had in it's memory. Keep ctrl+F5 in mind when you upload any edits you make in the future, it will save you being frustrated.

If, as you stated, the original site was a Xara site and the original creator stuck with default settings, then yes, the new site deletes any/all edited files and replaces with the new.

You used a template which means I'm out of the conversation as to how to edit to full screen. You can certainly do so, but my knowledge of templates is zero. Keep checking back, someone will pipe up with advice.

Thanks Chris, that's helpful.

nice educated guesswork there chris
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Jever View Post
    Thanks Chris, that's helpful.
    Who are you calling educated? I'll not have you spreading rumours like that. People will start expecting.

Haha, just to prove a point I quoted the wrong person...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Who are you calling educated? I'll not have you spreading rumours like that. People will start expecting.

Haha, just to prove a point I quoted the wrong person...
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Lightbulb Re: I'm doing something wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Jever View Post
    ...but I can't see what.

Hi all,
    I'm new to website publishing so please assume I know nothing.
    I'm stuck at home with not much work at the moment, so to fill my time, I thought I'd try updating my own website, which previously was done by someone else.

The guy who did my last website said he used Xara Magix, so I bought a copy of that and used one of their pre-made templates.

I've made a five-page website that looks great when I preview it on my computer. The problem comes when I upload it. What appears is clearly the website I wrote, the photos are there but the text grows in size and looks a complete mess.
    Is there a process I should be going through before uploading to get the format right?
    It looked so bad I replaced it with a blank page that had a reconstruction message on it but when I uploaded that the text disappreared and all that's left is a white sheet.

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

One last question: When you upload a website, does it automatically delete/replace the previous website?

Thanks in advance Jever
    Jever, you site looks fairly clean so congrats to you.
    Working with a template in a new tool is not that easy right off.

Some pointers:
    • The site is in need of a Favicon. Use Help for the bold phrases. I would use the red callipers in your logo (see below).
    • Use a higher definition logo. It currently brings the site down. Use and import the original https://cdn.icaew.com/uh/production/...ogo__icaew.svg and type in the words.
    • Lose the "Made with Xara" - you made it.
    • For each page, add Page title to each.
    • For each page, add Page description.
    • About us page, align the "About us" to match the other pages.
    • Add the mailto: hyperlink to your email.
    • Consider adding a Mobile Variant.

All the best.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat