Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Photo Tool in Pro+

I am trying to assign Corel After Shot as the Photo Tool in the desktop version of Pro+. I have entered it in Utilities/Options/Photo Editing but when I open a .jpg I still get the XPE program. When I return to the Photo Editing window it still lists After Shot. What am I missing here? Thanks.

Default Re: Photo Tool in Pro+

you did press apply ?

also make sure you have set it to the correct executable file, some programs have more than one, check it is the same path as in the shortcut you use to open it directly

I don't have after shot; painter works ok
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

When I had similar problems I changed the Bitmap transfer to Always use PNG.
    I am using Affinity Photo.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The file listed works when double-clicked in file Explorer. The Apply and Always Use PNG are applied. Pro+ is opened as Administrator. Pro+ just uses its own photo program, XPE. Maybe I am not initiating it correctly. I have been double-clicking on the photo, imported or opened. The photo is a .jpg.

It might be an AfterShot problem and not Xara. I will keep exploring. Thanks.

ok I looked at this

after shot is a dedicated camera RAW editor

1] you cannot use PNG - the program does not open PNG

2] you could use JPEG, but I do not know if you can force xara pro+ to use JPEG, the three options I know are automatic/BMP/PNG non of which work with AS - it opens but no file imported

3] in order to get the program to open at all from within xara I had to resolve a security issue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cas warning.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	128780

so if it is not opening at all on your system from within xara, your security software may be blocking it [it opens fine directly and opens JPEG directly]

my verdict is it does not work - unless acorn or someone else knows how to force the transfer as JPEG...
    Nothing lasts forever...

This is excellent information, Handrawn. I have to concur with your conclusion that this dog won't hunt. Thanks for the discovery.

you are most welcome - JPEG is not a good format for general editing, being lossy, which is probably why xara do not give the option; post-processing photos is rather specific
    Nothing lasts forever...