Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default perspective vp.s

I thought this might be of use to someone here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbITwqiuyUg
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: perspective vp.s

Well, thanks Larry, now I'm even more confused! :-)

Especially her use of the term vanishing point This is how I always understood it: the point at which receding parallel lines viewed in perspective appear to converge. She seems to have a different interpretation or I fail to understand how it matches this definition.

interesting Larry

there is nothing in the video that contradicts the definition of vanishing points

the lady is pointing out that all vanishing points exist on the horizon line, and she is giving a basic run down on how to find a horizon line in a picture where there is no visible horizon, using eye level as the reference instead

nature is complicated and visually exists in a multitude of z-planes, so you cannot just pick any old set of 'straight lines' you need that reference line
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I thought this is an interesting explanation and hoped some might find it useful, VP's can be very complicated and not all are on the horizon for instance on a building with a pitched roof drawn in perspective the line of the nearest slope is not simply parallel to the slope angle of the furtherest slope angle but do converge at a point somewhere usually that point is not on the horizon but found on a line extended from but above the right VP.

@Boy she is simply showing how a VP may be found on a photograph.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Not always easy to find VP'S on a photo it's more of a judgement call in my opinion, but she does have some good points that's why I posted this video.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

I thought this is an interesting explanation and hoped some might find it useful, VP's can be very complicated and not all are on the horizon for instance on a building with a pitched roof drawn in perspective the line of the nearest slope is not simply parallel to the slope angle of the furtherest slope angle but do converge at a point somewhere usually that point is not on the horizon but found on a line extended from but above the right VP.
    Not following that Larry.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

not really clear to me either... but I think the point [pun intentional] may be that you can find points of convergence all over the place... which is what I was getting at with z-planes, excuse the animation jargon; but they are not vanishing points if they are not convergent on the horision, if they can be extended and still be within the field of view [though maybe hiding behind a bush ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

I worked real hard on this reply both yesterday and today but try as I might I could not manage to create an example graphic of fanning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reply.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	128779
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

thanks Larry I understand the roof perspective - that is a point of convergence way up in the sky... that means you can still see beyond it, though you may need a telescope

I grant terminology varies, but to me that is not a 'true' vanishing point as you could have something constructed and visible beyond it after the lines cross - in this case that would not be practical in real life, but in a dawing you could do it - and if the point of convergence was ony feet above the ground you could it in real life, in sculpture for example... however that is only important if you are drawing to a horizon and not just contained within a z-plane [segment of the distance between you and the horizon]

as far as fanning goes are you thinking of something like this :

Name:	09f1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	128781
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    thanks Larry I understand the roof perspective - that is a point of convergence way up in the sky... that means you can still see beyond it, though you may need a telescope

I grant terminology varies, but to me that is not a 'true' vanishing point as you could have something constructed and visible beyond it after the lines cross - in this case that would not be practical in real life, but in a dawing you could do it - and if the point of convergence was ony feet above the ground you could it in real life, in sculpture for example... however that is only important if you are drawing to a horizon and not just contained within a z-plane [segment of the distance between you and the horizon]

as far as fanning goes are you thinking of something like this :

Name:	09f1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	128781
    Not quite but what you did works
    Larry a.k.a wizard509